Can someone explain this to me? adult content

I apologize now for sounding stupid lol but I want to know...
I had an OB visit yesterday at 37 weeks pregnant and I was seen by the nurse practitioner (whom I don't like cause she never explains anything to me). She checked my cervix and told me the "outside" of my cervix was open but the "inside" was closed and that it was soft and baby was low... She wouldn't really explain what all that meant. Does that mean I'm dialated at all, or effaced? How does it open on the outside but not the inside and when does it start counting as dialation and effacement?

She pushed up hard to "make sure" she was in the "right position" and ended up causing me to bleed. I spotted all day and hurt some, too. I've never had a problem with spotting before that, so am I super sensitive now that part of it is open or what?

Again, sorry for sounding so confused. I tried researching it, and I did read women have like two doors to their cervix where one can open but not the other however it doesn't really explain when and how dialation comes in, etc. So if someone could help me to understand this, I'd appreciate it because I wasn't about to ask the nurse after she hurt me... I just wanted to get outta there!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• the spotting is absolutely normal. I'm not sure about the rest though. Maybe call and talk to your ob and request that you not be seen my the nurse practitioner again.

AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Some times of an exam where they check your cervix, you can spot and feel tender because your cervix is really high up and they have to reach up there to feel it. I know its uncomfortable and very confusing when they dont explain anything. Most women prefer not to have an exam that checks for dilation. 1) because its useless. Just because you are dilated or effaced doesnt really mean anything until you actually go into labor and you can be dilated up to a month before you actually go into labor. 2) because it can cause the stripping of your membranes. 3) because it can be painful. I've never heard the 2 door thing about the cervix so I'm sorry I cant help with that. Talk to your doctor at your next visit and maybe they can fill you in as to what it means.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I am not sure.. I didn't go to my 37 wk appt... I went into labor the day before the appt lol I would call and talk to someone else there and ask them.. good luck! and congrats!!
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 9:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I don't know the answer, but ugh! I can't stand going to female OBs or nurse practitioners because they are too rough and assume that you can read their mind. Sorry, I hope you find your answer. Good luck with everything!
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I don't know either but when I was 37 weeks they checked me and I started bleeding. My ob said I was getting ready to deliver and the next week I went into labor (ended up needing a c section because baby was breech but I still went into labor!)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2011