Should I just take a hint and stop asking?

I have a good friend who really wants to lose weight. She tells me all the time how she needs to shed these pounds and wants to get in a routine. Well, I exercise quite a bit and run twice a day. I have tolasked her numerous times to start walking with me. I usually run but will walk if she came with me. Everytime I ask her, even in advance, she comes up with some excuse not to go. Her kids don't feel well, she doesn't feel well, she's shopping, they're having family time, she forgot....ect ect. Her husband has even said things about it. My child comes with me and plays at a nearby park halfway through for his fun time and me to cool off and it'd be fun for her child too. Should I just take a hint that she won't be joining me? Should I stop bugging her to go? I'm just trying to motivate her...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• If she's been blowing you off for a while not I'd just say to her that because she seems so busy maybe she should just give you a call when she's ready to join you.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Yes I wouldnt ask anymore, once she truly makes the decision for herself to go she will go, you can only help motivate somone who is already truly motivated themselves and made their mind up to actually do something about it. Sometimes if you keep asking it can turn them the other way.

Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I have a friend who is the exact same way... problem I found is when she did finally join me I was not satisfied with my workout. She could only do 5 minutes at a time and after 30 minutes which was about 10 minutes of workout she stood there watching me do my workout. I just hopped off the machine and said ok i guess we are done!
    Sometimes its is better to just let it be if she really wants to join you or lose weight she will ask you to go with her.
    momand4kids

Answer by momand4kids at 9:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• How long has this been going on? I would say, if you have been trying for a few weeks, multiple times a week, you should just dtop it. Tell her, if she ever decides she WANTS to go out you would welcome her. But I would stop asking.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• She's not going with you. I doubt she ever will. She's the type to talk about it but never do anything about it. I'd stop offering.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 9:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• sounds like she wants to loose pounds but not do the work for it.
    Creasman

Answer by Creasman at 9:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Weight problems nearly always have an emotional core, whether you are skinny or fat. Maybe she just isnt ready to deal with them yet and this is her subconcious's way of manifesting blocks to protect herself.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 9:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• yeah i wud just leave her alone, that would annoy me if she kept talking about it and not do anything about it, so the next time she says it, i would say 'well i offerd ypu to come with me but your always busy, so stop talking about it and do something, i don't want to hear it anymore' good luck
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 9:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I would stop asking. I had the same deal with my soon to be sister in law. I took a brisk walk through her neighborhood every morning last school year after dropping one of my children off and invited her several times. After a couple times of her turning me down for this or that I just let her know it was an open ended invitation and she could join in when she was ready. Just recently she has been making weight comments again and saying how she really should come work out with me. I don't say anything but "Anytime!"
    Anonymous

• I would stop asking maybe when she is ready she will!
    ljmommy1211

Answer by ljmommy1211 at 10:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011