Temper tantrums at 8 mos?

So my 8.5 month old has suddenly become a very fiesty lil thing. She's always been a bit on the fussy side, but now she throws all out tantrums if you take something away, or move her away from something she was doing. She like attacked her daddy, who was laying on the floor, for his cell phone yesterday lol. My 1st daughter was a very, VERY laid back infant/baby so my 2nd daughter is a whole new ball game for me! Anyhow, just wondering if temper tantrums/aggression at this young is common?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh yes, this about the age when babies will start objecting to having a toy taken away, to mommy walking away...ect. Just make sure you don't milk her tantrums. We have the same issue with our daughter, the same age as yours, only difference is our daughter has always been a fiesty one. My husband jokes that she got her mama's personality (everything is my way, or go away), it's just another thing that they go through.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Mine started throwing them about that age. I don't know if it's common but I know ours entered that stage at about the same time and probly won't grow out of it for awhile.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 9:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• 8 months you say? Well.. I would be willing to bet that she is teething, if she has'nt already..? Even if she has teeth already, she could be getting more in.. either way, the art of distraction usually works best. When little miss gets cranky, play peek-a-boo or make silly sounds/faces at her, or sing her a song.
    Also for an 8 month old to be throwing actual tantrums, like I said, it could be more teeth coming in, OR she might not be getting enough sleep at nap time, every child is different so they all eat, sleep, and play differently. Also if a child has to much stress in their life they will have tanrums, I don't mean like, adult stress, I mean.. If older sis is taking her toys away and making her angry, or something like that. I really hope this helps =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Yes, common for any child. I have found that telling the child when you are going to pick them up or go bye in the car or eat, whatever you are going to do with her, greatly reduces fit throwing as fit throwing is done out of frustration of not being able to communicate. If she wants some thing she cannot have can tell her you understand she wants it but that she cannot have it. Also I recommend sign language as a second language.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 2:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• YES! After. 8 kids I can eagerly say it is very normal stage
    Infact I'm going thru it right now with my DD who just turned. 1 year ..
    griefstrickin

Answer by griefstrickin at 2:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2011