Armpit pain & Dr.

I'm 28 and 35wks pregnant with baby #3 and I guess for the past few years, I've noticed that the skin under my right armpit is thicker than the left. It gets tender and hurts every now and then and I wasnt too concerned but after reading and googling, I'm terrified of what it could potentially be. I brought it up to my OB on Mon. and he felt it and said, "he doesnt feel any lumps so wasnt concerned" He added that it could be lymph nodes. Well this didnt satisfy me and I want to get a second opinion. My question is, what type of doctor should I schedule an appt. with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Health

• Have your OB or regular doctor order a mammogram after you have your child. I had a mammo and breast ultrasound because I had a cyst bear my lymph nodes. It still gets swollen around the time of my period but it's nothing to worry about. Not sure what other doctor you would need to see. Stop trying to self diagnosis, you will drive yourself crazy. I hope it all works out and congrats on the baby!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Breast tissue can extend up into your armpits - maybe you just have a little more under one arm than the other, and it is tender because of pregnancy hormones. I'd just keep an eye on it for now
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 11:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I just reread your question and saw that you said this has been going on for a few years? It is VERY unlikely that this is anything to worry about!
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 11:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Thank you for your responses, yes I noticed a few years ago that the skin under my right armpit was thicker then the left. It wasnt always like that but I just cant remember exactly when it changed, I believe it was after one of my pregnancies. It has felt tender and painful every now and then and i wasnt too concerned about it until after I started reading about what it could possibly be. This may sound silly but I had gained a lot of weight with my prior pregancies and assumed it may be because of the extra weight but then I lost all that weight prior to this pregnancy and there was no change in the thickness of the skin. I have an appoitnment with a dermatologist tomorrow to do a full body check of all my moles, I've never had any problems but have never had one done so thought it was a good idea to just get one done. Anyway, I was hoping he can offer some insight as to what he may think it is.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2011