First trip of the summer with a 17 month old HELP!!!!!!!!

ok the last time we went on a road trip my son was just 6 months and he hated it cryed for two of the four hours we had to stop like every 20 min so the four hours was more like 6 or 7 hours well now the lil one is 17 months old and is rideing in a toddler set i know some road songs not a whole lot and idk what to take besides a few toys with snacks and juice boxes can you think of anything anything at all that im forgetting that i need to get for the long ride

britt2thabrat

Asked by britt2thabrat at 10:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if he has a fav cartoon get a lil tv on the back of ur seat. my lil ones didnt even make a peep.
    Creasman

Answer by Creasman at 10:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• pray girl pray lol..my lil one is the same age and the tv sometimes works and sometimes it doesnt and my trip is 8hrs one way!!!!!!!! I am totally nuts by the time we get from one place to another!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Books with pictures are great and if you have it, a DVD player with cartoons might help. Relax, it will all be OK. Make sure to bring wet wipes, a car garbage sack and maybe a small pillow for his head. I f you can find it and he can sit where he sees the driver, he could drive a toy drivers wheel set from the back seat. He might be a little young, but you never know. :-) Happy traveling.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• my daughter was 2 1/2 the first time we took a 5 hour road trip...she did good..slept most of the way. halfway there we stopped on purpose so we could run around and get the wiggles out..thats probably the most important thing...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Get a portable DVD player. And there favorite show. That is what we did and he was pretty good the 8 hour ride.
    ljmommy1211

Answer by ljmommy1211 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• You can try several things.
    1) travel at night. Maybe the child will sleep most of the way.
    2) Plan stops. Google your trip. What's interesting to see and do along the way? Can you at least stop at a McDonald's playland half-way there? What about stopping at a beach or park, and letting him dig in the sand? You could make the trip part of the trip!
    3) Pack a travel bag. Start collecting small, interesting toys that will be fun in the car, and then dole them out one at a time while on the trip. Is he old enough for colorforms? What about magnetic letters - use a cookie sheet for them to stick to. Pack juices, nutritious snacks. Apples are good. Many children (and adults) become constipated while traveling. Apples and other fruits will help keep things moving along .
    4) bring ear plugs or great music for you and your DH, to ignore the child's crying when nothing else works.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2011