My dd accepted the lord, when? she never told me.

My mil was saying the other day that my dd had accepted the lord into her heart. While I look forward to that day I was upset at this. DD is 5 and while she comes to church and prays and such I don't think she truly understands. I have friends who's kids were younger when they accepted Jesus into their hearts and that's great, I often talk about that with the kids too. But I don't think any of my kids are ready yet and that's just fine. I want it to be their decision and feel that my mil should not have done this with dd. Talk with her about it, absolutely but I think she should not have prayed with her and told her that she had accepted the lord. In a way I feel kinda cheated out of that moment with dd. Plus she never told us about it, well not me anyway, dh doesn't remember. And apparently it happened a month or two ago. Dd didn't even remember doing it or what it really meant, proving that she isn't ready and wasn't ready. I want to at least know about it if and when my kids decide to accept the lord because I want to be happy with them it's special and I want to answer any questions they may have. Would you be bothered by this? I am but didn't say anything. Should I?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• she's 5...she may have heard it from somewhere or maybe your MIL told her to say that or something...I agree while they are too young, I wouldn't let it get to you...my daughter is almost 3 and has been thanking Jesus for her food since she was 2. I take her to Sabbath School and all, but to really grasp the concept of what it means to accept Jesus takes a much older person in my opinion...I was baptized at 13 after bible classes, but have still learned so much more...I wouldn't be pissed or sad. She's 5..be happy she's interested in Jesus :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Wait there is a specific moment when you accept "the Lord"? Sorry I guess I'm not up to date on stuff like that for me I went to church and guess I always just accepted "the Lord" in my heart. I didn't have to declare it to my mom or grandma
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 10:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Don't let it bother you too much. She's only 5. She'll believe just about anything and do whatever to make her grandma, etc happy. Give her a few years and she's likely to change her mind, especially if you don't restrict her from learning about other belief systems.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• You said yourself she doesn't remember. Honestly, I was not brought up like this. We went to church and such but our religion didn't do this. So I don't really understand, I don't understand this idea of there is an exact moment when you accept Jesus into your heart. But hey, that is your thing. Just keep doing what you do, and I am sure you will have your moment you are looking for. I don't mean any of that rudely I just don't really get it...
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• 5 year olds have no clue yet

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I wouldn't be too upset but I don't think a 'child' truly understands what that means other than some older person telling you that you should do it.

I didn't accept Him until I was in my 20's even though I was baptized at 9. I can honestly say that the only reason why I got baptized was because the church and other people was telling me that I should. I had no idea what it actually meant. Later in life, I really understood and made that choice.

Keep in mind that one day when she gets older, she will finally understand and then you will be there for that bright shining moment.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• can you be happy with her now?
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 10:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Ugh...exactly why I'm not big on kids in church...

I remember when I was around that age and the church I went to was BIG on pushing us all to say the prayer and accept Jesus and all that. I'd be upset if it were my daughter too
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I wouldn't be bothered by it. She did not understand and does not even remember it. I accepted Jesus into my heart and got baptized when I was 10. Even at that age, I didn't understand what I was doing. That's why at the age of 33, I rededicated my life to the Lord and was baptized again.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would be pissed and probably stew quietly.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2011