Christians (I guess anyone who believes in a God might be able to answer) do you think your child(ren) was born an atheist?

NOT A DEBATE JUST WANTING TO UNDERSTAND WHAT OTHER CHRISTIAN MOMS THINK

This got me thinking a little. I guess since I have seen my child come to me at a young age I never thought I introduced God to them. I have seen the curiosity of children and questions form at a young age, I would tend to believe that children are born with the knowledge God,

To say my child was born Catholic is inaccurate. I taught them the teachings of the church and the history.

If you believe this what is your definition of atheist?

a·the·ist (th-st)
n.
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language,

Is a baby able to disbelieve or deny anything?

*I posted this in a group as well.*

vntNyll

Asked by vntNyll at 10:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No I think everyone is born with the knowledge of God, although it is more subconscience. That is why atheists work so hard to disprove something. We know that Santa and other fairytale things don't exist, yet we don't go out of our way to prove it. Why, because we truly believe they don't exist. So an atheist must go out of their way to constantly prove that God doesn't exist, or they don't want anything to do with days that are for God. Why? because subconsciencely they know he does exist, and they have more of an internal struggle trying to convince themselves that he can't exist.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• not Atheist b/c they cant deny God, but not Christian either...they dont know what Christianity is. if anything i would think most kids are born completely apathetic to the idea of God. they may feel a connection to a higher power, but they wont identify it as God.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think kids have a great ability to be spiritual, but I wouldn't say they are born with a knowledge of God; most parents who believe in God teach their children about him along with whatever religion they believe in from a very early age, so you can't really say they knew about God on their own.

.Saille.

Answer by .Saille. at 4:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• No. The Bible says that God has set eternity in the hearts of men...so it's there on some level. But they aren't born religious either.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• No, I wouldn't consider a child to be Atheist. Atheism, IMO, is a choice. Until a child is presented with a choice I guess I don't believe it falls anywhere, religiously....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes and NO. I think children are born without a conscious understanding of a Higher Power. That doesn't make them Atheists. They can't NOT believe in God because they don't have ANY Beliefs. But once a child starts to mature, even by 4 or 5, they can start to hear the call of their HP many times, even if they aren't being taught about it - Which still doesn't mean they aren't Atheists, but it also doesn't mean they ARE Theists either... Again, at that age it's a simple matter of they don't have actual beliefs, they may repeat what they are told, they may follow where they are lead, but they are unable to honestly decide what they believe on a spiritual level at a young age. It's only once we are to a point where we can have a clear understanding of concepts like God that actual beliefs can form - and thus define us spiritually as Theist or Atheist...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't think so. How can they disbelieve something they have no idea about? How can they deny something they don't understand? I think babies are born with the very basic knowledges, how to breath, eat and sleep and they are taught everything else!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Quite the opposite, actually. Both of my children at a young age told me of being in heaven and choosing me to be their mommy. It's not something I ever shared with others so it wasn't something my younger daughter copied.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Honestly, No. I dontthink children are born athiest. Children are soo pure and innocent. Jesus prefers children. Hence (unless youre roman catholic) if a child dies he is blessed under his/her parentsas will go to heaven. Children I believe, can see angels, interact with angels. It is up to the parents to teach their children the importance of religion and having a relationship with our Lord. the more we know Him the more He will be present throughout our lives.
    RockstarsMoM08

Answer by RockstarsMoM08 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• No... I believe babies and children remember where they came from but later on forget. I have heard stories of children describing what it was like before they came to be.. their spirits that is.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2011