My three year old will not poop in the potty. He does great with peeing. We have a 6 month old, and some of our family seems to think that that may be the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• mine done the same thing but at 2 1/2 he pooped in it! i know this is gross but i did do this i took him to the potty with me and showed him how i poop and even said push it out and made some grunts then i sat him up there and he did it then not to long after that he was poopin in the potty but i showed him this a few times.
    Creasman

Answer by Creasman at 10:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Give him time, let him do it in his own time!!

My 3 y/o son was pee trained for a month before he was fully potty trained. He told me he was scared to go poop...and in all honesty, I can see why. It is a bit different. You know? You kind of have to work at it. LOL.

Just be super encouraging. I think it's pretty normal that kids are a little more hesitant to pooping. Reward him big time when he does! We did a sticker chart, I did a little potty dance (which he thought was funny) and he got a small toy (under $5).
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 10:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• act like you don't care anymore!!!!!!!! put diapers next to the potty and tell him he can poo in them if he wants and that they will be right there when he needs to go. if he decides to go poo in the potty give him a reward, like a candy he doesn't normally get. you will not win the potty struggle until you pretend like it doesn't bother you
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 10:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• We have the same issue so when he goes poop he gets a special treat! So maybe you should try that. It works for him!!
    ljmommy1211

Answer by ljmommy1211 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It's not a problem, all kids are different and he will go poo when he's ready. My baby girl did the same thing up until just recently. We just backed off a little and kept a close eye on her...she would hide behind a chair or couch when she was going poopy butt so, I would just get really excited and encourage her to go to the bathroom and potty and yes....sometimes I would have to go too lol. She is doing so good now. We clap, give praise, stickers and lollipops.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 11:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My son didn't poop in the potty until almost 4. One tip that helped us was to get a stool so he doesn't feel as if he's dangling, his legs can 'push' against it. And of course make sure he's not constipated because then it hurts to poop, reinforcing the cycle of hesitating. Fruit smoothies, Triscuits (whole grain and fiber), yogurt, juice, water, keep him active. Keep the diapers/pullups in the bathroom and tell him if he needs to poop he can use the potty and get a treat or he can put on his own pullup. My son also got used to pooping standing up (into a pullup) so it was harder for him to get used to the pattern of sitting. Make sure you have a soft squishy potty ring (Toys R Us has them) so it doesn't feel cold on his bottom. And he WILL go in his own time. Good luck!!
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• get rid of diapers for him all together. my daughter did the same exact thing when she turned 3-she would pee just fine, but when it came down to pooping, she would freak out, beg for a diaper and poop in her pants. after pooping in her big girl panties, she learned and eventually started pooping on the toilet on her own.
    Danielle10384

Answer by Danielle10384 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• pooping in the potty is not fun when you are the one trying to potty train the pooper.......
    its not easy,however some kids are easier than others....just be patient,be consistant,dont give up,reward the good things with praise and clapping and smiles!!
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2011