Sick and breast feeding, any suggestions on what I can take?

My son is 8 1/2 months old and I am exclusively breast feeding him (in fact he will not take a bottle, my mistake). I have always had a time with producing enough milk to the point of having to eat what seems to be way too many calories. Any way, my question is do any of you know anything I can take while I am sick that won't effect my supply or my son? I don't know what I have exactly but I have a high fever, chills, body aches, head and eye pain, sore throat and a stuffy nose. If you can help I really appreciate it.
Miserable.

Srkimmel

Asked by Srkimmel at 4:54 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Health

• Usually you can take regular sudafed. You can even take it while pregnant. Best thing is to always call and ask your doc just in case.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 5:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• If you have had high fever for over 24 hours you need to call your ob, he might be able to call something in that is also safe while breastfeeding. Taking sudafed is not recommended because it does transfer to breastmilk. If I were you I would just call the doc. You can take tylenol and motrin and alternate them, and you can use some vicks rub on your chest for congestion. If its just a cold it will take its course, but usually you don't get high fever with a viral infection. That is normally because you have a bacterial infection, and in that case you will have to go on antibiotics. Also I am just curious why do you say its your fault that your son won't take the bottle. You are nursing, you chose to nurse, don't apologize because your baby won't take a bottle. Be proud of it.
    Reggie2

Answer by Reggie2 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• If you check out safefetus.com it will tell you which medications you can take while breastfeeding.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• a good rule of thumb (I have been told by my DR) is if you can take it while you are pregnant you can take it while you are nursing
    nicky5053

Answer by nicky5053 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Thanks for all the advise...And I just want to clear up the bottle thing. I am so happy to nurse my kids, but my daughter went to daycare so she was on a bottle (breastmilk no formula) but my son is lucky enough I didn't have to go back to work so he never used a bottle but it would be nice at times like this to have help since I am his only source for milk that was all I meant by that...I truely love the time with my son when nursing.
    Srkimmel

Answer by Srkimmel at 2:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I would just let it run it's course.
    Nothing wrong with your baby not taking a bottle, by the way. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2008