Getting a two year old to eat veggies?

My daughter will eat broccoli until the cows come home, but often turns her nose up at a lot of other veggies. Does anyone have a good trick for getting a two year old to eat more veggies that doesn't involve totally hiding them in something else or making them sweet? Or is that too much to ask at this age, lol?

katiemomNY

Asked by katiemomNY at 10:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If I were in your shoes, I'd cook the veggies, cut & mix them up then call them something else like yummy food. Eat your yummy food. i'd also eat it in front of the child making yum noises.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Try letting your two year old pick out the vegetables and help to prepare them. My son could safely add his own pre-cut vegetables to a salad or adding them to a bowl for you to put in the pan. Have you tried offering the vegetables raw as well because some people don't like texture of cooked or raw vegetables. I know that you don't want to hide the vegetables but my son really loves meatballs with grated zucchini, summer squash and carrots. When you mix up the meatballs add the vegetables they aren't really hidden but the flavor is muted.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Babies are introduced new foods slowly over time. They might be offered peas first, or carrots. But then all they see are peas for several meals in a row. And every time they have peas, they are the same. The baby can count on it. No surprises! But then with the toddler, foods are not familiar any more! Suddenly, those familiar baby foods are gone, and every meal is something strange. Young children love ritual. They love the familiar. They are afraid of change. One meal they might have plain buttered peas. Next time, the peas might be mixed with potatoes and gravy. Maybe the next time peas are served cold and raw in a salad, and again, served with the pods still on them. No wonder toddlers become finicky eaters! With that in mind, when you introduce a new vegetable, serve it plain and simple, over and over, until it become familiar. Don't force child to eat all, just a taste. He'll learn to like it.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:53 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• HAH! The only veggie I can get my son to eat is cooked artichokes and only because they look interesting to him! Too bad they take 45mins to make :|

I've tried everything that the previous posters mentioned, not of it works with my son. I just try to make sure what he will eat is healthy. Honestly his favorite foods are usually breakfast type foods. He'll eat healthy cereal, granola bars, eggs, bagels, and a bunch of other things no problem. He's just not a veggie boy, doesn't matter if it's dipped, buttered, or called something fun.
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It takes at least 10 introductions of a new food before a child will decide if they like it or not. Offer the veggies and insist she take 2 no, thank you bites. After she takes those two bites she does not have to eat the rest; but she has to try it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2011