Can I be fired for not attending a mandatory meeting that everyone else is not required to attend?

I work full time at a homeless shelter on the graveyard shift.12am-8am, there are two monthly meetings on every other Thursday at 2pm. When I get off at 8am I go home and get my 3 yr old ready for school and then I come home and spend a coulple of hours with my ten month old at about 11:30 I'm in bed til about 3pm. Raising my children is my other full time job. My boss says that I will be fired if I don't attend the meetings; I just don't have the time or energy to attend. I mean come on, I work third shift. The only people who don't have to attend the meetings are the ones who work other full time jobs. Isn't motherhood considered a job to?

supermomptg19

Asked by supermomptg19 at 7:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Money & Work

• To me, yes it is considered a second full time job, but not to employers. Unfoutunetly. you can be fired for almost any reason as long as it is not a racist one and there are obviously a few others that wouldnt be real reasons to fire someone. Good luck!
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 7:21 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I would ask him to possibly make the meetings an hour early before your shift.

4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• if those are the rules those are the rules. a job is something you get paid for. so if youd rather lose a paying job to have just your "mommy job"...by all means, skip the meetings.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• You need to get this in writing. your working 3rd shift, then being expected / demanded to attend a meeting during your sleeping hours. ~ And being threatened with losing your job over it. Try talking to your local labor board.
    25beengoodtome

Answer by 25beengoodtome at 1:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• In this lousy job market, I wouldn't rock the boat. Suck it up and go to the meeting! It's a wonderful thing to argue the whole "principle of the thing" ideal, but when it comes down to being able to provide for your kids.........not a hard decision I would think. Good luck to you either way.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 1:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Another thing to try is claiming religious reasons. Are you religious? Tell them you have church on that day and time. Then they would have to accommodate you by giving you another time.
    Anonymous