When do you consider yourself a runner?

Ive been walking and jogging. Not so many times and not in a daily routine but I try to make time. Occasionally I will run a bit but when can I consider myself a runner? Do you have to feel healthy and be able to run a certain amount to say youre a runner? Or is it ok to always feel out of breath haha just curious:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I would call myself a runner if I had to run down the block to help/save my kids from themselfs...
    cluemein

Answer by cluemein at 11:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I don't know. I know I run daily, at least 1.5 miles, but I run in my house so I don't consider myself a runner, the second I walk outside and try to run I get about a half mile and die...
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 11:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• For me, it was when I started seriously training as a runner...about 5 months into my journey into running. I've been running for almost 2 years now. When I say running- when I run ( inside or outside) my mileage is between 2-13 miles a run.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 11:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Let's see...i run to keep the garbage bag machine from breaking down at work and I run to keep the dog away from the steak I'm trying to thaw out for supper.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think it's how you feel - do you feel like a runner? Then you are. doesn't matter if you're doing run/walk/run. Doesn't matter if it's slow or fast. Everyone starts somewhere and most people start small and build up from there. I'm a runner...not really sure when I started considering myself a runner, whether it was when it stopped being just a form of weight loss and started being enjoyable or when I ran my 1st 5k 18 months ago. Certainly when I ran my 1st marathon a couple months ago, I'd already been a runner for awhile.
    Start making the time and be more consistent - add on to the amount of time you run incrementally and before you know it you won't have to ask yourself when you can call yourself a runner - you'll know that you are!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would consider running twice a week qualifying as a "runner."
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Once you've thrown up after running. That makes you an official runner.

No jk. But I think if you do it on a regular basis you can call yourself a runner.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I considered myself a runner as soon as I stopped jogging for weight loss and starting training to run my first race :)
    runner-mom

Answer by runner-mom at 3:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2011