How do you explain to a 7 year old that he has to start taking baths by himself?

PurpleDawn

Asked by PurpleDawn at 7:12 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just tell him that he is a boy and you are girls, and since he is a big boy now that he gets the privilege of taking a bath by himself because big boys don't take baths with their mom and sister.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• just tell him he's getting older and it's time to start doing this like a big boy and show him how to run the water the first 10 times or so i'm not saying he's dum i just know how it is lol....then turn it off th1st time after you show him and have him show you how to do it give him a limit on how high the water is to be and a limit on time in the tub.My girls if they could they would stay all day in there...
    kim168

Answer by kim168 at 7:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Just tell him he's a big kid now and needs to do it on his own. My 3 older kids take baths on their own. They even know how to fill the tub up (but rarely do it). They are 8, 7 and 6. They know how to fill the tub, wash themselves and wash their own hair, even my girls (who are the 8 and 6 year olds). I'm trying to raise independent kids so I started really early with them. I do occasionally go in and wash their hair to make sure it is getting really clean but not every time.
    Next I have to teach them how to clean up the tub and the mess they made afterwards.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:32 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• It doesn't really take any explanation. Just show him what to do and let him do it. He is old enough to want to do this anyway. :)

Answer by Bmat at 11:45 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I was talking more from the standpoint of why he can't bathe with his sister or me anymore.
    PurpleDawn

Answer by PurpleDawn at 11:55 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Just tell him that mommies and big sisters like to be alone in their bathtub, because we read books, or scrub our toes one by one. We like the quiet time ALONE.
    25beengoodtome

Answer by 25beengoodtome at 1:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2008