IYHO....What does the Bible represent for you?

IYHO=In your Humble/Honest Opinion

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Knowledge and absolute truth from God and my undoubted future.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• The Word of the Lord
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 11:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• The Bible is the Inspired word of God! Just imagine - people writing in different eras, in different countries, in different languages, and yet it makes a cohesive whole! Only God could have made that possible. Nothing is lost in translation, either. People who believe that have not taken the time to study the Bible.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 12:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I believe it contains/reveals truth, but not that it IS truth. I think it shows us how the people who wrote it understood things like life, humanity, Divinity, etc. It gives us a window into seeing these things the way they saw them, and allows us to catch a glimpse of God and Truth through their eyes, if that makes sense.

I don't believe much of it is literal - I read most of it as allegory or metaphor. The way I determine how I understand a passage is to look at the context of the history and language and tradition (etc). If it defies history, physics (or other "natural laws"), etc, then I read it in a non-literal way. I think most of it was about revealing a transcendent truth that isn't bound to a specific time/place/person anyway. Something that is real and relevant any time....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:21 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I see it as akin to Aesop's fables or the Grimm's brother's tales, etc. There is a lesson to be heard/told in the stories(whether good or bad), but they are works of fiction.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• A sacred text.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:18 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It's simply another "ancient" myth story. A mix of history, myth and fable... No more, no less.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I see it as a guide book rather than a rule book- I believe it was written in the style of the times using allegory and other literary devices to retell actual events and ideas- I do not believe it to be false but I do believe some of it is lost in translation-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

you rock

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I see it as the Word of God and a guide for my life. I take it literally where I believe it makes sense to take it literally, and not literally where it does not make sense, IMO.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2011