My one year old is still fussy towards bed time.

I guess I'm not trying hard enough still. I make him do exercises during the day I make him walk to the park, I try to wear him out. seems like he wont sleep during the night but takes it all during his naps. My kids normal bed time is 9 pm and 20 minutes of reading. My daughter it takes no time to fall asleep but my son he's always fighting sleep. It's nearly midnight and he's still awake... I'm begging PLEASE PLEASE help me....

marinebrats

Asked by marinebrats at 11:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Our bodies go through this natural down time from 6pm-9pm and many of us get a second wind at 9pm. Many healthcare professionals suggest to start getting a child ready for bed at 6pm so they will be asleep no later than 8pm so they will be asleep during the second wind. Also, our body's natural melatonin injects around 9pm according to the circadian rhythms chart. It is much easier to get someone to sleep well if they are already sleeping when this starts to naturally create.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 12:53 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• How many naps does he currently have? Generally, he should be having two and getting ready to wing down to one.

Develop a realistic attitude about nighttime parenting. Sleeping, like eating, is not a state you can force a baby into. Best you can do is to create a secure environment that allows sleep to overtake your baby.

Daytime mellowing. A peaceful daytime is likely to lead to a restful night. The more attached you are to your baby during the day and the more baby is held and calmed during the day, the more likely this peacefulness is to carry through into the night. If your baby has a restless night, take inventory of unsettling circumstances that may occur during the day: Are you too busy? Are the daycare and the daycare provider the right match for your baby? Does your baby spend a lot of time being held and in-arms by a nurturant caregiver, or is he more of a "crib baby" during the day?

Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 11:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I have been busy I juggle kids home chores, and homework. Not easy I drop a few ball once in a while
    marinebrats

Comment by marinebrats (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Mine was that way, and we hammered away at our routing until 5 months ago. His Ped suggest a one mg melatonin. It helps to calm him down and he goes to sleep easily and wakes up rested. I have been taking it for years. If that is something that sounds reasonable to you, google it and ask your Ped.
    southernbelletx

Answer by southernbelletx at 12:15 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• How much sleep is he getting during the day? Ideally it should be a short morning nap maybe even 40 mins or so, and an afternoon nap for no longer than 2 hrs, then the morning nap will drop. maybe its time to drop the morning nap and see if that makes a difference, do you have relaxation time for the last two hrs before bed, quiet not so stimulating play, reading books etc...
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I know all that I'm in medical school, and you're more than right I should stop trying to wear him off during the afternoon. thanks a lot
    marinebrats

Comment by marinebrats (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2011