How do you save money each month?

What do you do to save money each month? And on average how much do you save doing so?

BraydinsMommy09

Asked by BraydinsMommy09 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• :( 401K is how I save.. I should and could save much more but we don't.. We are always on the go, eating out etc...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I try saving at least 150$ per month as a cushion.
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 11:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• First and foremost we pay our tithing which is 10% and then we take 10% more and smack it away in a savings, then we live on everything else. You can't afford not to save.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 11:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I like to use a few coupons here and there.. I stopped eating out. I also try to turn all lights out and I'm thinking about starting to recycle; because a friend of mine told me it saves money-but I'm not sure how true that one is lol..
    BraydinsMommy09

Comment by BraydinsMommy09 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Put it away before you even know it's there...have auto deduct set up to take a set amount out of your check and into your savings each week.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Yeah I put money both into my savings and into my sons savings.. I'm currently a single mother (problems happened), so hopefully those problems fade away soon, but that's another story. lol
    BraydinsMommy09

Comment by BraydinsMommy09 (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• We use coupons and price matching from other store when shopping, that saves us about 150-200 $ a month.. also we cook at home, I plan out our meals for two weeks.
    Nwaite85

Answer by Nwaite85 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Pay yourself first!! every pay check 10% is a good amount, adds up quickly enough & is rarely missed when it is tucked away.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 1:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My dh has the 401 k, Then I automatically have 200 taken out each month at the bank. It helps when you never see it.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 6:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• We save for specific purposes and have methods for each. One, we keep a budget and set aside certain amounts in the bank for cushion, future car, college, vacation and retirement. Two, I save all our change from cash purchases in a jar. Any aluminum cans we gather are cashed in as well and that money is added to the pot. This has been used for "blow money" among family members during vacation (as we eat meals in and do free stuff, this is for the extras). Three, any paper money left over from grocery shopping, is set aside for our dream vacation to Italy.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 9:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2011