Am I being too over protected?

My 13yr old has a best friend for the fisrt time, in a very long time. My daugther is very shy, so the friendship she has with the other lil girl mean the world to her, but I have issues with the parents of her friend. I have tried to be understanding, but it's not working. my daugther is confuse as to why I won't let you sleep over at her friend house. the reason being the friend parents are really messing people and they have a olderdaugther whos boyfriend is alway hanging around (it's almost like he lives there). Am I being too over protected?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Relationships

• yea i think maybe. i mean lots of people have messy houses (and it bothers me too) right now i am mad cuz i cant vacume cuz the baby is sleeping but anyways. if this is the first friend she has had in awhile and has trouble making friends i would back offf a little.if you go to far with this she may end up losing her friend
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:54 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Yes, I think you are being a little overprotective. Has the boyfriend bothered your daughter?
    By messy do you mean piles of trash and bugs and rodents running around?

Let your daughter spend the night. If anything goes wrong during the sleepover she can always call you and come home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• No your NOT being over protectecd , its your daughter if you dont want to raise her to be nasty and messy that its best you keep her away or give her friends a hint to..CLEAN UP AFTER THERE SELVES!
    AkB1987

Answer by AkB1987 at 8:39 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• If you get a bad feeling, you go with your gut!!! Sometimes people or situations make us uncomfortable for a reason. Even though you may not be able to fully explain to others what makes you feel that way, there IS something there. So don't overlook it, and don't discredit it. You want to make your daughter happy, but as a main goal you want to keep her safe. And if you don't feel that she would be safe there, then don't let her go.
    How many moms have not trusted their gut and later REALLY regreted it later???
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 10:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• You can never be too over protective in a situation like that! You are a good mommy. I have a 12 yr old son & he's not allowed out of my sight - not even to go on a play date at some body's house. Where ever he goes...I go.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:58 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• No. Our children had many friends who were always welcome in our home, but our children were not allowed to spend time in their homes. What we found was that a good number of those children were attracted to ours because they admired them. The next thing that happened was they were trying to lure our children away from the very things which they had admired in the first place. Stand your ground. If you don't trust the other parents, you are under no obligation to entrust your child to their care. To the contrary, you would be being remiss if you did so.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:19 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I'd have a bad feeling about the boyfriend, too. He may be wonderful, for all you know, but you don't know, so it is your responsiblity to be protective. Have the friend to your house only. If you need an excuse to help avoid hurting the other girl's parents' feelings, just say your daughter has too many allergies, or something like that.

Answer by Bmat at 11:36 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Yes you are. What kind of messy are you talking about? Laundry not folded and toys on the floor, or trash and filth? There is a big difference. And not every boy is out to get you little girl, I know that from listening to people on hear it seems like it, but I'm sure that he is fine for your daughter to be around.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• no you are not be over protective cause that boyfriend can harm your kid ok maybe she can stay a night every once in awhile but you need to make sure she knows what to do if someone touches her
    Anonymous