Apple pie

i want to make an apple pie i tried to do it before but i failed i found some recipies online and i will try one of them but i feel lost about somthing

what is the difference between lard and margarine and what is shortning ?

cuz i feel they r the same will it make a difference if i used somthing differnet that than the recipe says ?

and ofcourse i need yr tips

thank u ladies

fire

Asked by fire at 8:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Food & Drink

• lard is fat, shortening is like grease and margarine is like butter,
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:33 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• ok which is better in the apple pie?
    i have butter and margarine
    fire

Answer by fire at 8:34 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Lard is animal fat, shortening is vegetable fat and butter is milk fat. Lard or shortening make wonderful flaky crusts. Butter will make a more tender crust. I like recipes that use a combination of shortening and butter. I don't buy lard because I don't think I would use it before it went bad. Shortening lasts forever. The trick with pie crust is to use a food processor and handle the dough as little as possible. Put your flour in the processor bowl, add the butter/shortening and pulse until it is mixed. Your shortening/butter should be ice cold and so should your water. Once the butter is incorporated, add the water and pulse until the dough forms a ball around the blade. If it doesn't do this within 30 seconds, add another tablespoon or so of water and pulse again.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:03 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Continued: When it comes together, pour onto plastic wrap, wrap it and put in the fridge for 15 minutes. Take it out and lightly sprinkle the counter with flour. Roll out quickly and decisively using enough flour to have it not stick and not too much either. Keep rotating the dough so you are sure it isn't sticking to the counter. Fold in 1/2, then in 1/4 and lift gently into your pan. Do you need help with the filling or is it just the crust?
    Marwill

• Butter is always better. I make apple pie alot in the fall. You need to be careful of what kind of apples you use as you need to make sure that you use Mcantosh or Granny Smith (harder apples are better for cooking). You will need about 8-9 for a nice high pie. Peel and cut apples, toss with a 1/2 cup of sugar, sprinkle some cinnamon (I use about a teaspoon), mix with 2 tablespoons of flour- put in pie crust (I make mine from scratch)- add a couple pats of butter (I have forgotten to do that at times and it still turns out great). Make sure you cut a few slits on the top crust. Bake at 350 until golden brown. :)
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Pre packed crusts will work well too if you just can't master pie crust.
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• margarine
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 10:35 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My uncle went on and on about how better lard was for pie crusts. He is 80. SO I tried it. It didn't taste nearly as good as my normal crust. I believe the lard back in his day was a lot better than what we can buy today. I would never buy lard again. If at all possible, I use butter in all my cooking. I have a great recipe for pie crust that actually has sugar, an egg, and apple cider vinegar. I like ti because it makes it very tasty compared to other crusts. But it takes a few tries to get the hang of it--it is a little softer to work with than normal crust. But I would stay away from lard:-)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Lard---comes from animal fat

Shortening--vegetable oils

Butter---from milk products

margarine--vegetable products--sometimes with a bit of cream or yogurt in it

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• On of my best friends owns an orchard and McIntosh apples are NOT hard..but kind of tart so can be better for baking...but you cannot cook them too long unless you want apple sauce pie! Courtlands are excelent because they are not too sweet or tart and are a beautiful color and really hold their shape during baking. I think shortening makes much flakier crust.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2008