Every time DS (7) reads something..

he insists on telling me how many pages he's read. He's a great reader (reads at like a 9th grade level) but I KNOW he can read and read well. I encourage it. I buy him all kinds of reading materials and scout out new ones at the library. However, I really don't need to be bombarded with this information every time I enter a room or he enters the room to see me. Is there a way to stop this? Or am I just a horrible person by being annoyed by this?

For the record - he talks all the time just for the sake of talking. If he has nothing to say he'll bring up a memory from several years ago just so he can have something to say at that moment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Aw maybe if you try and reading with him once a night. Let him read to you. I am sure he is not trying to annoy you. Maybe that is his way of getting you pay attention to him!
    ljmommy1211

Answer by ljmommy1211 at 1:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Ha, I think a lot of kids get little annoying habits from time to time, like this. Try to sympathize - he's just seeking your approval and it means so much to him. Give yourself a pat on the back for putting up with it in good humor! :P Keeping communication going really is important enough to tolerate him when it's annoying because he will grow out of it, and you need him to feel he can talk to you ... about anything, or about nothing, so that you can stay close as he grows up. All too soon, he'll be off to University and you'll be wondering how your eager little reader ever disappeared!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:03 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• If he's an avid and keen reader why not make a poster / chart where he can record the book title, no of pages and time it took to read it. It can be a record of his achievement which you will both be proud of. We all lead very busy lives but from my experience my little boy can make irritating noises etc if there have been periods where I've not found enough time for him outside the day-to-day stuff. I'm not trying to be critical but do you think he's vying for any attention, albeit negative? I certainly see that pattern from my son at times... Good luck!
    ItsHalfFull

Answer by ItsHalfFull at 1:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• We ask DS why we need to know that (whatever the thing is he's into telling us that week). He'll either tell us why he thinks we need to know, or he'll stop. Keep in mind, if he stops, he'll think of something else to replace it in a day or two.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• This really is not uncommon. Be happy you have such a bright child.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My DD is the same way. She just wants acknowledgement for a job well done! She strives to make me proud, and I've noticed that when I let her know I AM proud, she does it less.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think it will pass. He is wanting you to be proud of him for his accomplishments.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think he is happy sharing his achievements with you.

oba

Answer by oba at 9:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It sounds pretty normal, but if you feel like this may be a social skills issue, you might want to bring it up to his doctor. It's possible he could have Asperger's or something..
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 11:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• He's bonding with you.... even over pages... I know it gets montotonous, but all you have to say is "that's great baby" Oh, and listen to the stuff he brings up from the past... I can ask my son every day "Anything interesting happen today?" "No" And then three weeks later I'll hear about how some child broke a window with something. Boys tell you stuff when it occurs to them, not when it happened. It's important to pay attention.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2011