Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Labor Laws. Curious

Ok in Dec DH was fired. He was fired for "terroristic threatening". Basically years ago he told his boss that he was having thoughts of hurting coworkers. He went to the doctor and was diagnosed Bipolar. Was put on meds. Bosses wife tried to make Dh tell her what kind of meds he was put on. This is illegal. So he never told anyone. The issue was ignored and all was well.

Last year his boss dies and the bosses wife takes over. Bosses wife never has liked DH so we knew she'd find a way to get rid of him. Two weeks before xmas she fires DH because she said he had threatened coworkers. He never threatened anyone. He only admitted one time to his other boss several years ago what was going on in his head. Obviously he was under medical care for it. I'm sure he had a case for wrongful termination, but Dh decides not to pursue it. Oh and they also denied his unemployment. In the 40+ years they have done business, they've only ever paid unemployment to one person (Me).
I'm telling you all this because it shows the history of the company.

Now, we have heard through the grapevine that the last person DH trained was fired for taking his daughter to the doctor. They fired him because he wasn't sick? In the 7 yrs working there I can't tell you how many times I missed work because DD was sick or needed to go to the doctor. Is firing for a dependent being sick legal? They did not say for attendance. But fired because he wasn't sick.

Answer Question

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 1:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 23 (15,594 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I'd call L&I and see! Sounds ridiculous!!

    Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

  • I don't think think the stuff that they did to your husband was legal I would check that out.

    Answer by HollyBoBolly at 2:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

  • Contact your state's agency in charge of employment and labor Sounds very fishy to me.

    Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

  • the best thing to do for both your husband and that other guy is file a claim with the EEOC and go from there. it doesn't hurt to try to fight it and it doesn't cost anything either.

    Answer by lucky35 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2011


    Answer by rkoloms at 8:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.