The parenting you have

Of the parenting you have accomplished, what decisions do you feel were your best decisions?

1northwestmom

Asked by 1northwestmom at 2:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Making sure I validate my childrens feelings, giving them loads of love and encouragement and never belittling them or their ideas
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 3:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think making sure they feel loved has been one of our better accomplishments :) We say 'I love you' all the time around here. We are very free and open with our affection toward our kids, and we love to play games with them or just roughhouse sometimes. Another thing was taking turns and sharing- those have been VERY important to me, since I believe that kids should not be stingy. Of course they also have things that are JUST theirs, like their special dolly or blanket.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Not co-sleeping, disciplining consistantly from an early age, staying at home with her but also knowing when it was time for her to start part time preschool.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I am so glad that I learned that parenting without punishment is possible, and that I decided to adopt that as a primary goal. That was a key decision. (I am even more glad that I got more skilled in HOW to proceed from this point of departure, lol, but that is less about "deciding." But it is a great feeling to believe in it AND to be skilled and connected, so it really is peaceful parenting rather than simply permissive parenting. lol)
    Another key decision was to recognize that children can have their feelings, because this helped me stop fighting them & escalating the problem. I can validate & accept feelings (I don't "have" to punish/stop tantrums, for example, nor do I have to feel intense discomfort or irritation around them.) The decision to commit to validation & empathy was a huge determining factor for my parenting.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2011