Why would a doctor refuse to give you a c-section when you ask for it over and over and over again?

And then because the baby didn't get enough oxygen to the brain, it becomes brain dead. WHY!?!?! I just found out that there was a couple who gave birth to their beautiful baby girl at the hospital. SHe was pushing for two hours straight and was BEGGING for a c-section. The doctor REFUSED to give her a c-section even though the oxygen was low for the baby. The baby finally came out and was totally brain dead. Before she was born, the ultra sounds showed that she was developing perfectly, no problems what-so-ever.

How would you feel if this were you?

BTW This isn't in the news yet but I think it ought to be SMEAR that damn doctor's name all over the damn paper so that no one will let him treat them!

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 2:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would have that doctor and hospitals butt in a sling.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 3:03 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• outragious !
    Nicole_Anne

Answer by Nicole_Anne at 5:46 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• if there was proof that the baby was in distress and then the doc refused then the doc was in the wrong but if the ababies heartrate was doing what it was supposed to do then asking for a c-section while pushing im sure happenes all the time i would have said no to her as well she was already so far into it and to go and have a c-section while the baby is on its way out im sure is a pretty extensive and dangerous thing many women push for hours and hours it happens i dont think the time she was pushing has anything to do with it
    honestly i think there is more to this story than we are getting no doc in america would ever pass a chance to deliver a baby c-section unless the risks of having one are gretter than pushing the baby out
    how did they know the baby wsnt getting enough oxygen while she was pushing anyways
    shannonnlotuz

Answer by shannonnlotuz at 5:53 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't think it was the doctor's fault. I'm sure women ask for a c-section unnecessarily all the time, and c-sections are given WAY too often, IMO(I've had to have 4).
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:22 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Oh don't be so quick to blame the doctor. Things go awry in birth that even the best of doctors can't predict or fix. If she'd had a c-section and something else went wrong would this too be the doctors fault? I don't think doctors are God's and they do make mistakes, but so do patients by trying to control a doctors decision making process when you have hired them to do just that. My daughter was very in control of her birthing process and kind of got in the way of the doctors best medical judgement until I intervened. later I overheard the doctor saying to another doctor, "if they don't want us why don't they just go and have them under a bush?" She had a point! Doctors need our support to be our best alie. I'm truly sorry thought for the death of that baby. What a sad thing to go through and how painful to come home with empty arms. i pray the future brings some joy down the road.
    SecondMom59

Answer by SecondMom59 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• This wasn't enough info to really understand the situation.
    Pushing for 2 hours isn't a "reason" for a cesarean.
    An emergency is.
    Why was she pushing for so long?
    Was she having a normal pregnancy & labor, if so, why did she hire on OB?

If the doctor didn't see an emergent situation then it sounds like the doctor's opinion didn't justify it.
    Ultrasounds are estimates, as well.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't think doctors are God's and they do make mistakes, but so do patients by trying to control a doctors decision making process when you have hired them to do just that

==

Well as a professional doctor he should have known that the baby wasn't getting enough oxygen to the brain and that it could cause brain damage. He should have performed an emergency c-section.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• The baby is completely brain dead! Is that the mother's fault or the doctor's? There are ways to prevent this from happening and if she was pushing for two hours and the baby couldn't breath, a c section should have been done! My baby wasn't able to get out and they almost had to do a c-section even though she was already crowning, but I ended up pushing anyway and she finally came and she's fine. But clearly if the baby's head is stuck and the mother is pushing for TWO HOURS and nothing is happening, something should have been done.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• how did they know the baby wsnt getting enough oxygen while she was pushing anyways
    ===

You know the machine that monitors the baby's heart rate? It was low. That's how she knew.
    Imogine

• You are saying that the baby's heart rate decelerations were "too" low?
    Who was judging this, the mother herself?
    It is normal & expected for them to be low during labor, contractions.
    And monitors are embarrassingly inaccurate, but that is besides the point.
    The doctor will know when it's within an abnormal-dangerous range.

I think there is a lot more to explore, many questions to be answered.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2011