Spanking Child !!!

what do you thing about that ????

well personally i don't like i hate it even when i see some parent doing it ....but doesn't measn when i was kid i didnt have some lollllll

caramelH

Asked by caramelH at 3:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was spanked as a kid but I didn't with my 3 kids. Times are different. When I was growing up the kids were spanked. I just didn't think it was right to hit my kids.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 3:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think its something parents need to be careful about, a little swat meant to get their attention is one thing and slapping them so hard your hand hurts and you're leaving red marks or even worse bruises is another
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 3:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• have u not seen how kids act these days??????????? i dont likeswitches or belts but time out and talking to them and consaquences for sur kidscome up to my kids in the park and r plain ole rude! and the parents dont care. my nephews r the sae way they wont even listin to me i caught the 5 yr old beating my 2 yr old in the back with both fist i had told him previously to not be hitting my kids and if they do somethin to come and get me! i wanted to get him good.
    Creasman

Answer by Creasman at 3:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Spanking and abuse are two totally different things. I was "spanked" as a child. I thank my mom everyday for it. I also "spank" my kids when they need it, but It is very rarely that I need to. They have that thought in the back of their mind what will happen if they do something wrong.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 6:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'm another who believes spanking is problematic. Sure it can increase toddler aggression/hitting, but I don't think it automatically "results" in aggression (this depends on many factors, such as whether a child turns aggressive feelings outward or inward.) Michigan-Mom74's point is a good one: aggression/violence are not automatic results of violence, but that doesn't mean there are no "issues." It is tricky to summarize "spanking results in violence" because some of the issues aren't overt violence. I don't think the problem is only with spanking, either.
    Spanking is simply part of a continuum of responses to behavior that all have the same result. The difference between various punishments is not one of kind, it is one of degree. Time outs, imposing consequences, removal of privileges, & spanking ALL control behavior by disconnecting individuals from their intrinsic (personal) valuing process & orienting them to another's.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• (cont)
    That disconnect from self is the thing that I see as problematic with spanking, but since this result is not exclusive to spanking, I don't single out "spanking" as the problem as if it is a completely different animal from other punishments. Spanking exists on the SAME continuum as the other ways of leveraging kids out of behaviors, and they all rely on the same result, that kids will care enough about avoiding the consequence to alter their behavior, effectively disconnecting/dissociating from themselves. It's true that the results/symptoms of this disconnect differ in degree, and the further you move along the continuum to sharper, more emotional responses to behavior, the more severe the "issues" that result. But it's all the same continuum, and I believe "having issues" itself is the issue....not some distinction between whether or not they are "really bad" issues or something most people just live & cope with.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Swating a child on the behind is not going to cause any emotional scarring. Beating them over the head or anywhere else will. Sometimes spanking is the last resort when you've had it up to your neck with their temper tantrums, bad attitudeds and just bad attitudes.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I meant bad behavior.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:24 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• "I think it makes things worse because kids become more aggressive"
    I was physically abused my by s-dad, even to the point he was kicking me. I am not agressive, I'm not saying I do not have issues, just about everyone who was abused like that does. IMO, if a child grows up and decides to beat someone real bad or to death, it just seems like abuse is kinda like a catch-all and a handy excuse for what they did. It seems now days, that juist about everybody refuses to accept responsibility and blames it on others. "its their fault I beat that man do death" Like someone put a gun to their head.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• my mom spanked,us 4 kids learned to hit each other when we were angry,we did not learn to use our words. us 4 kids learned to hit back when we got older,we started hitting our mom.Now my mom has 4 kids,6 grandkidsand 4 great grandkids that she does not see or know..
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 3:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2011