Do you think spankings keep children out of trouble when they get older?

It was a while back but I remember them doing a story on this and they were saying that children who were spanked as punishment tend to avoid trouble with the law and stay out of jail. Do you find that to be true?

Were you spanked and have you stayed out of jail most of your life?

I was spanked and I've never been in jail.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 3:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I was not spanked as a child. I've never been in jail, or in trouble. Got a speeding ticket once...5 miles over!

I do not beleive spanking is a good form of dicipline. I don't spank. However, I don't think the issue is 'whether to spank or not', i think the issue is 'do you even dicipline?', as many parents fail to dicipline at all.

My son is very well behaived, polite, does 'the right thing', and does well in school. He knows whats expected of him, and the consequences for behaivor that is not acceptable. Dicipline is respectful, loving, logical, and well communicated.

i think the key to keeping children out of trouble down the road is communication, teaching respect, discipline (not punishment), an teaching our children that everyone makes mistakes, but how to learn from them, and what they can do the next time to avoid them. You have to teach kids to think and care.

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I was very rarely spanked, knowing the possibility was there kept me behaving lol  and I've never been in any kind of trouble

DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 3:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My grandmother raised me so she did it the old fashion way "spare the rod spoil the child" don't get it twisted i love my grandmother like my mom but there were times when my siblings and I were whipped pretty bad Two different times cps was called not trying to make my granmother sound evil of bad she honestly did the best she could with what she had. I myself have been in jail 3 times all for simple things but my older sister is in jail now so I think that spanking can be heathly, but if anyone thinks that just spanking a child is going to keep them from going to jail r really fooling theirselves. I for one was hardheaded knew everything and wouldn't listin to anyone regaudless if I got my A$$ beat or not
    country85

Answer by country85 at 6:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I was never spanked and I've never been to jail. Hell, I've never had a speeding ticket.

Discipline is the important thing and there are ways other than spanking to instill discipline. I'm happy that my parents selected the other ways.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i was spanked...and i went to jail when i was 14 because i was caught with acid.....

I think the opposite is true. i think kids who aren't spanked are less likely to go to jail. There are many studies done on spanking & it's long term ill effects. They say that girls who are spanked, begin having sex younger than girls who are not....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My father started out spanking us ended up beating us many injuries came from discipline never touched my kids one is going into the marines the other is still in trouble so it can go either way.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'm a firm believer that spanking isn't the answer.

I was never spanked as a child & I haven't ever been in trouble with the law.

I think it just depends on the childs personality and many other factors as to whether they are cop magnets or not.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• u asnwered to mine just few mn ago !!!! huh !!
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 3:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• WEll yeah. You made me think of it :)
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 3:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Well it counts whether you've been spanked once or several hundred times growing up. Spanking is spanking and sometimes it can cause a huge impace in your life. Whether it's good or bad
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 3:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2011