Would you let your child go to a friend's house whose parents are different than you?

Would you let your child go for a playdate or sleep over to a child's house whose values, opinions, mores are vastly different than yours?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Different values... yes... no values... no. There is a difference in having a different religion or parenting style and the parents being avid drinkers or verbal abusers. I would not let my child stay at or spend the night at a home that had no rules and the parents had no control over their own household.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• As long as I didn't perceive those differences as harmful/illegal, I'd welcome the opportunity for my kids to learn about the differences of the world in a gentle, safe way.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Sure did, created wonderful oppertunities for talking about things. In 4th grand my daughters best friend was the Rabbi's son, we all actually learned a lot from that relationsship. At the time I was takking the kids to Catholic and Baptist services.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 6:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would because children need to learn that not everyone thinks and believes the same that they do. Why deny them the opportunity to meet new people, unless they engage in dangerous behaviors, I don't see any harm.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 6:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• There are some value lines I won't cross - blatantly illegal behavior, flagrant drug use, pedophilia, etc. However, if there are no fears that the kids won't be harmed, I've got no trouble with it.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes, because if I wouldn't there is a potential that my kids could never go anywhere. Everyone is going to be different in some way and it is good to have the kids exposed to different cultures young so it is not a shock when they get out in the world and there are so many differences.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have a few times. I trust the parents though....they may be different than i, but they're great people. I think it's a great way to help your child become more cultured. All kids should be aware from a personal standpoint, that people are vastly different. It helps makes the human race beautiful and it helps children understand that it's OK to be totally different.

Sheltered kids are innocently more ignorant than cultured kids.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:34 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Well sure as long as we are not talking about devil worshiping, Nazi,pedophiles!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• diversity is a great thing....teach your kids that being different isnt a bad thing!!
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes, as long as they weren't drug dealers, porn stars, or pediphiles............diversity is healthy I think.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 8:05 AM on Jun. 22, 2011