Birth Certificates

I thought the hospital was supposed to give you a birth certificate when your child was born but we have been packing and getting ready to move and realized we don't have one for our 4 year old.

What can we do to obtain one? Thanks

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:53 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• The hospital mailed me the application for the Birth Certificate a month before the big day. Two weeks later we got the BC on the mail.
    Call the Vital Records in your area.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• The hospital is not responsible for getting you a birth certificate for your child. They are responsible for filling out the application and for filing it with the State Health Department. You just have to call your state's Health or Vital Records Department and request a birth certificate. Know that it will cost you.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I meant to say two weeks later AFTER the big day we got the BC. :)
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You should be able to call the hospital and get one. They have to keep records, so their will be proof.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 6:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• thanks
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 7:01 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Vital Records, the cost I'm not sure about.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 8:01 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• At least here... Birth Certificates are picked up at the local 'Justice Center' at the vital records window. It cost $10 for the first copy and $5 for each additional. There was no birth certificate from the hospital. Not even a 'mother's copy'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I know in my area you just go to the Town Hall in the city that the baby was born and they will give you one. I am not how much they cost now although I think I paid $10.00 for mine.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Some places it is the state and some places it is the county and it almost always costs $ even for the first copy.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Depending on what state you are in depends on how they handle it. In Texas you have to go to the Health Deparment and buy one from them. And this is for an original one. You can contact your office of Vital Statistics in your state, they all handle birth certificates and they can tell you how to go about obtaining one.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2011