Spanking

I believe in spanking but not beating my children a quick sweat on the bottom is all I do---I do this after I have tried all other techniques and they still won't listen. I would like to know who else feels the same way as I do.

I know this is a hot topic so please be kind with your answers

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree. I've posted before in answers to other moms' questions about discipline. "Different strokes for different folks." What may work with one child does not necessarily work with another. I have 4 grown children. Two responded, as children, to punisment and two to spanking. Age and personality have to be taken into consideration, too. There is a big difference between child abuse and spanking. And it's a myth to think that by spanking, you're teaching your child it's OK to hit. The key elements in raising children is to be in consant communication with them (ex. Explain to them why they are to be punished or spanked and reinforce that you still love them.) and be consistent.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 7:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't spank. I think hitting is wrong and it's not the only available form of discipline. If I can raise my boys efficiently without hitting them, then why wouldn't I?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I do spank, not abuse. They are two totally different things. I was spanked as a child, I thank my mom everyday for it to. I spank, but don't have to do it very often. They know what is gonna happen if they do something they are not supposed to. That keeps them in line. Not everyone agrees with it, that's their opinion. We have ours also. I also agree it doesn't work with all kids. My sister spanked and her kids got worse. It just depends on the kids, weather it will be effective or not.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 7:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'm gonna turn this around to get my answer out there. Do we as adults spank someone that does something wrong? NO we don't because A. you may just be barking up the wrong tree and get Your ass whipped or B. that would be considered assault and you would be arrested! So why assault a child that can't defend them self? People say, it's just a swat or pat on they're bottom,you can down grade it anyway you want it's still physically laying your hand on another person and it's WRONG! I don't do it to my kids and they both are good kids, there are other ways to discipline without using abuse. Was it done to me? Sure was and i never forgot the times it happened. That's really good memories to leave with your adult kids, I swore I'd never do it to my kids. If it's an ok thing to do why do social services and police get called to peoples homes everyday for it?

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2011