Will it cause an increase in abortions?

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) is expected to sign a budget bill on Tuesday that eliminates state and federal funding from nine of the state's Planned Parenthood health centers. Indiana, Kansas and North Carolina did so earlier this year.

Walker was the first gubernatorial candidate to seek and win the official endorsement of Pro-Life Wisconsin -- a group that considers birth control a form of abortion and opposes sex education for teenagers

In Wisconsin these centers do not provide abortions, but the do provide birth control and is said to have prevented over 11,000 pregnancies in 2008.

On a side note the bill is written in a way that the center can't partner with the state lab that reads the tests that are part of their cancer screening process, this will make it extremely difficult to offer cancer screenings.

A slippery slope to the back alley? Your Thoughts....

sipn_mom

Asked by sipn_mom at 8:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• i am in wisconsin
    i am NOT a fan of scott walker

less birth control = more unplanned pregnancies which will equal lots of things
    more children born into poverty, and (because of cuts walker is proposing) less health care for these children and their unwed poor mothers (assuming that planned parenthood services mostly people who are not well off, services people who are not married, do not have other health care etc)

young women will not stop having sex even though birth control will be much harder to get for them

what other outcome CAN happen when you take birth control clinics away from people who
    are mostly poor, young,, and have no other option to provide birth control

increase in abortions = yes
    increase in unplanned pregnancies = yes
    increase in young unwed mothers who have no fathers in picture = yes
    increase in drop out rate of these young mothers=yes
    increase in need for services for
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'm stunned after reading this. I can't believe anyone is stupid enough to want to keep any woman from taking birth control. I hope the people who live in Wisconsin are ready for a tax increase to help pay for countless unplanned pregnancies.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 8:18 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Do the health departments still offer this same services? If so, why can't women just go there? Planned parenthood is a private organization so I do see how they really shouldn't be getting government money. I'm not saying they are bad, I'm just saying that I disagree with any private organization getting major government funding.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:24 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Of for crying out loud. No one is closing PP. No one is stopping any woman from getting an abortion in a safe, clean facility. The only thing they are doing is removing state/fed funds from PP. Some of you act as though the ONLY funding PP gets is state/fed. Get real. PP is a privately owned company, not a state run/funded aid station. They can still provide BC. For that matter, state aid will still offer BC. In fact, PP will still do abortions. The only difference is that they won't be using tax payer money to do so ~ even by default. Their funding will all come from private sources, which is the only source that ever should have been used.

And this ~ "A slippery slope to the back alley? Your Thoughts...."

My thoughts are that is just way too much drama and innuendo this early in the day.

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Maybe PP should use the money they donate to political campaigns to make up the shortfall. Maybe they should cut the salaries of their executives to help fill in the gaps. Why didn't PP separate their services so abortion funding would not be an issue? Why can't people pay for their own birth control? If you can't afford a pack of condoms you certainly can't afford a child.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Then you'd be shocked ... Even our wars are being fought be private defense companies. ~ USR

Really? Care to explain why the US gov't. pays my AF son's salary, expects him to show up to work each day, and has shipped him off to a war zone with a gun and orders to engage in war against terrorists, insurgents, and even dogs strapped into bomb vests (which by the way put the terrorists at a negative number on the respect scale)??

If you have a problem with the private companies filling in for guard duty or supplying catering and really poor electrical service, take it up with Clinton. That is part of the gap he created when he downsized. That gap will widen if we have another draw down.

I'm not sure why this has anything to do with PP. The situation is entirely different. The COTUS states that the gov't. is to provide a standing military and supply it. The COTUS says diddle about providing BC, abortions, or sex ed.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yourspecialkid-PP isn't just about birth control. It's about educating young people about reproductive choices. Get your head out of your caboose.

Oh silly me! I keep forgetting parents such as yourself are too stupid or lazy to educate their children themselves.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes the health department and many other clinics are now opening that offer the same and more. My dd goes to one. It is Govt funded through a grant. They do all birth control, cancer screening for both breast and uterine, handle usual illnesses and medications. They even provide the scripts and its income based. So no I dont think this will do much in my mind as far as slippery slope goes. I am Pro-Life so maybe itll lead to more adoptions.

Answer by gemgem at 8:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You can always go to your local health department for birth control. Planned Parenthood is a PRIVATE organization and should have never received government funding.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I am appalled at this guy who thinks that birth control is the same as abortion. WHat is wrong with him (and people like him in WI ) He is a disgrace. A misogynist and a hateful person.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2011