Just when i thought it was over and done with my son starts biting again how do i break him of this and why does he bite everyone he is around. He is becoming more mean with it. His doctor had told me it was a thing called a love bite where he would get so excited to see other kids he would just bite, lately it has become more intense what should i do..i tried everything

Some other parents told me that biting him back would stop him but it doesn't. I tried time outs. I don't know what to do

buttercupkisses

Asked by buttercupkisses at 10:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• this may sound mean.. but I have heard to put something really nasty in his mouth every time he does it.. like pepper, or vinegar, or something really sour....My friend had a problem with this with her daughter at daycare.. I can't remember what they used.. but it only took a few times before she didn't do it anymore..( she did throw up the first time.. so be prepared.) and she was a BAD biter... they had tried everything else.to the point she was about to be kicked out of the 2nd daycare!. It was good because her daycare got on board with her and did it too..the key, however, is persistence!!!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 11:04 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• bite him back. Not super hard but enough so he knows it hurts. Seriously, I have heard so many people doing this (dating as far back as my 45 year old cousin. He used to bite everyone and my aunt finally bit him back and asked "See, do you like being bit? It hurts, huh?". He never did it again.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• You said you tried everything...does this include bitting him back and hard? That was what I did and that was the last time he bit.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Tery givin him one of those hard-rubber doggie chew-toys to bite on when he gets the urge.
    25beengoodtome

Answer by 25beengoodtome at 2:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My son bites, but not real hard. I've found that not responding to it works better than anything. I've bitten him back, slapped his mouth, never tried the bitters, but when I act like he's not doing it, he stops and goes about his business. If it doesn't hurt when he does it, its worth a try.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 6:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• i think that biting him back,..not softly biting but hard,..and see what happens..i doubt he'll do i t again after thta,..or do what the first lady said and put vinegar in his mouth when he bites ,...he prolly wont like that..tell him thats what he gets for biting.
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2008