Where do you all stand on the "teen sex in the home" issue?

This has been all over GMA and other ABC news shows lately... So I wonder where most of you stand.

Personally, I would prefer my children have sex in my home rather than in some car. I feel it's safer, as I was the "sneak out and do it anyways" kind of teen... And it put me in some really rough spots!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Nope, if they want to sneak out and have sex in the back of the car and risk getting arrested, that is up to them. Pre-marital sex will not be promoted. And if you allow in your house that is what you are doing, condoning pre-marital sex.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• If you are telling your child it is ok to have sex in your home you are crazy to think that is the only place they will have sex. When you and the family at home they will go somewhere else. Kids are going to have sex in cars especially if you tell them that you don't mind them having sex. I do not want my kids getting pregnant or making another teen pregnant so I will teach them that sex is between a husband and wife. I have 5 sisters so I know that kids can stay abstinent without any kind of great threats of violence or anything crazy.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It would be more dangerous in my house. I'm not sure my daughter's future boyfriends would survive my husband's wrath ....LOL

And I think telling the kids it's okay in your house is the same as condoning it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I prefer my children get their education and find employment before thinking about adult situations. My girls can come to me with anything and they know it. My DD is 20 and she has been in a relationship with a young man for 2 years. We adore him, he is respectful, and kind. DD asked for bc and I took her to our dr and put her on it. However, they do not have sex in our home as we have younger children that notice everything. He is an only child and lives on his own. So, if they want to have sex, it is on their own time. As long as they both are still in college, and working I have no problem with her making adult decissions, as she is acting like a responsible adult in the other areas of her life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Absolutely not!
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I am sure it would also be safer if they drank at your house, that way driving wouldn't be involved. Sorry, no sex in my house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Not allowed in my house either. While we do have open discussion and I do not approve of kids having sex. Yes it happens (yes I had sex before I was married too), but I have no intentions of letting my children play house in my house.

My children are well informed and protected. But I will not make it easy for them. Nor did my parents make it easy for me. Not everyone is banging boots in cars around every corner. They do have friends whose parents aren't home...just say'n
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 9:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Not going to happen in my house. I plan on letting my daughter know everything about sex and I am not naive enough to think that she won't have sex. I will let her know that if she plans on having sex or thinks she might that she needs to let me know so that we can get her some form of birth control. I will also let her know that if she is too embarrassed to talk about it than she isn't mature enough to be doing it. That is the talk that my mom had with me, and I only had sex 1 time before she knew about it, and I was 17 by that time anyways. Once I thought I might be having sex more I told her and she took me to get birth control (I was 18 at that time). I can only hope that my daughter waits that long, but even if she has sex it will not be in my house under my nose.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It isnt allowed in my house. I will give them birth control, condoms and do all of that but I wont contribute to them having sex in my home. I just find it disrespectful. I have teens/adults and they always knew that. I told them it was something I did not want to hear walking by their room, nor did I want to walk in from cooking dinner and see them making out hands down each other pants etc. They can go somewhere else for that.

Answer by gemgem at 8:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Here is how I have handled the issue. First I have told my children that I prefer they wait until they are older and with someone they really care about, I was 17 my first time, which isn't old and isn't young. Second I will tell them if they choose to have sex they need to be protected and I will make sure they have that protection. Lastly, I will not encourage them to have sex in my house when they are teenagers. I am sure it is going to happen although I am not going to be saying, "if you have sex do it at home" because I don't really want them to do it at a young age, so while I understand they will make their own decisions I will not encourage them. As far as drinking, I have no don't that at some point they may drink before they are 21. They know the rule in our house if you are out drinking you call for one us to pick you up, you never drive after having a drink.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2011