Dress code

Is there a dress code at your child's school? If so, is it consistantly enforced? How is it enforced?

CometGirl

Asked by CometGirl at 8:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Elementary schools it is enforced very well across the board, middle school is the same way, but in high school there are exceptions made to certain rules for a select few. If you have the right last name your shorts/skirt can be so short it is almost obscene, cleavage is acceptable, and feel free to live in any piercings you want. For the rest of the general population, if you even come to school with a hole in your jeans you are sent to the office and told you must duct tape it or be sent home for a new pair of jeans, sans the holes. Every single time I have been to the high school I have seen at least one kid with duct tape on their jeans. I know the office supplies it, so I'm wondering how much our school system is shelling out for this stupid practice.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes, sometimes it is enforced, other times not----but girls have to sit in the ISS room until a parent brings them a change of clothes or takes them home. They keep it up and they will have to wear uniforms---and this is a high school----but honestly, we need it---you see more cleavage than in a red light district----and don't get me started on sagging pants----they just don't realize the real meaning of that in jail.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 8:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes, there is. How is it enforced?? Parents are called and clothes must be brought to the school OR the child is suspended for breaking the dress code. (This is the High School and Middle School).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• yes there is but I have no idea how much it is enforced. Chlidren can not wear pants with large holes, shorts have to be a certain length, skirts have to be a certain length, no profanity on the clothing, no spaghetti straps, boys have to wear a t-shirt under sleeveless jerseys, girls have to wear a t-shirt under sleeveless shirts with straps lees than an two inches wide. No open tow shoes adn this past year croc were banned. I am sure there is more...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes and no. We have a dress code it is not really enforced until middle school though. Elementary school kids can basically wear what they want since there is nothing sexy about a 6 yr old in a spaghetti strap. In high school though you would be sent home.

Answer by gemgem at 8:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• there is not one at my children's school. They were thinking of putting one it at my younger children's and the parents voted it down. My oldest goes to a performing arts school where individuality is embraced so the kids are allowed to express themselves and they don't have uniforms. I do have friends whose children go to school where uniforms are worn and at one school I believe the policy is you have to wear your uniform and if you don't the first time they call your parents and if they can't bring it you will have to stay in at recess. I do believe if it becomes a habit they do in school suspension.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• lmao lecates I keep telling my 19 yr old son what that means in jail

Answer by gemgem at 8:41 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Sagging pants in jail means they didn't get the right size... check out snopes...
    http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/sagging.asp

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:50 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• We have uniforms, and they must keep the shirt tucked in the pants at all times,, they will be sent home for not wearing a belt!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My kids go to public school and they do have a dress code in place. As to how well it is enforced, that I am not sure as I have noticed some of the kids at the middle school wearing clothes that (I thought) would be against the dress code--- like girls in extra short skirts -that barely covered their behinds (and no leggings under it). I think it is only enforced if someone turns that student in or if a school official notices the outfit. They don't seem to do daily checks (as kids are going in school).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2011