How to get rid of humidity in apt.

I live in an older building top floor and no a/c. It gets soooo hot and humid in the apt I don't know what to do. I have fans on but no matter which fan I put in the living room it doesn't make it cooler. I have the blinds shut to reduce sunlight....???? advice please :)

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 8:41 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Can you try to set the fans up from room to room so that they create a kind of breeze through the house-in one side and out the other? That's what we have to do. Our living room has only a big picture window that doesn't open and two tiny side windows that are too small even for a window fan. Feeling your pain :(
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You can also get a dehumidifyer
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Buy a window a/c

Answer by gemgem at 8:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I agree with gem gem, you can probably find good used one on craigslist.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Either a window A/C or create a "swamp cooler" by placing bowls of ice in front of the fans.

Or find a dehumidifier.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:50 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I should add after reading some of the other comments that we tried a dehumidifier and when it is running it actually heats the room up A LOT. It takes out the humidity, but the temp goes up about 10-15 degrees depending on how long you run it. And if you can't fit an a/c unit in your window in the living room, you could try setting up the fans so they blow the cool air from whatever room you have it in.....
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• alphamom, i'm not sure what kind of dehumidifier you had, but they don't usually heat up the room 15 degrees! buy a nice dehumidifier and that will work great. you can also have a fan, but to me a dehumidifier will work great with the blinds.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:34 AM on Jun. 22, 2011