my 18 month old doesnt seem to chew, he just puts all the food on his tray in his mouth and will keep it there for hours, i need advice in what to do

he also got his first tooth when he was about 14 months old

lsfxy2003

Asked by lsfxy2003 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hey, my best friends daughter did the same thing! I had never heard of it before! she would just let the food get soggy and swallow it. so gross. He'll out grow it!! however... she still does it sometimes and she's almost 3! the other day my friend told her to eat her carrot so they could go to the park .. Madi said she did and an HOUR later at the park she said" mommy, I don't' want this in my mouth anymore" and spit out a carrot!!!!

I would make sure he he is not in any kind of pain that is keeping him from chewing... also, it was really frustrating with Madi because it would take FOREVER to eat! Trust me.. he WILL eat when he gets hungry!!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:33 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• please excuse my bad grammer, and all the typo's..trying to enjoy my "promised" mommy time.. and I'm STILL holding the baby!!! great now her pooped.. guess i;ll have to do that too!!!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:34 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Remember, that if he doesn't have a full set of molars, he isn't able to chew his food properly so that his little stomach doesn't have to do all the work. Holding his food may be his own answer to not chocking on whole pieces. Remember when your grandmother got her set of dentures? LOL She ate only mashed food and soft soups b/c the gums cannot grind the food down well enough. When the stomach has to do all the work for breaking the food down, it can cause quite a tummy ache. It will then send the food into the colon which cannot absorb the nutrients from the good food, which then means the food exits the body having given no benefit to the health. Be sure and continue to offer only mashed food until his molars come in. Its not a "popular" idea, but then again, no one else cares about your childs health better than yourself!! :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:48 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I thought my daughter to chew by making really exaugerated chewing motions with my mouth when she was eating. She started copying me and soon figured it all out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Not to alarm you, but you really should check with your doctor. This can be a sign of delayed development.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Dec. 13, 2008