What do you do with an antisocial child?

My son is 21 months and doesnt like to play w/other kids and never has liked to. He plays alone all the time and is happy doing so. How should I encourage interest in other kids or how do I deal with a situation where there is other kids (like at the park) he doesnt want to play around or near others. he is in daycare so its not like hes not used to kids.

mitchellb

Asked by mitchellb at 8:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well he is still young. You can encourage interaction by playing games at the park that interest other kids. Like blowing bubbles and bringing chalk. My DD did not get very social until about 3 and at 3.5 she is always playing with someone!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:53 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You let him get older. At this age, they aren't very social.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i think he still too young to juge if he's ''Antisocial'' or not
    probably you're not so many in your familly so he didn't get used to see ppl around him and when he's in park he feel unconfortabe a bit that's it ;) ... my neighbor was having same problems with two of her daughters (12yr and 7 yrs old ) she took them to the riding club (horses and poney )..and now ther'r so fine ... they changed a lot ...
    your bby gonna be ok ;)
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 9:01 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• A lot of children that age engage in parallel play. Playing along side other children but not WITH the other children. All three of my boys were that way, not my daughter. I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless as he gets older he has issues with large crowds and noises, then I recommend having him checked by a professional for pervasive developmental disorder/aspergers. As we found with out youngest they don't always "grow" out of it and they might have other issues you aren't aware of.
    MommaDo4

Answer by MommaDo4 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Most kids this age prefer independent play. They aren't antisocial just learning independence.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• the only answer i do have is may your child is going through a phase. let this he/she go through this phase, and if this doesn't work through then may be it is time to ask your doctor. you might encourage he/she to help get involved with family activities, such as interacting with his/her siblings, then when he/she is ready, then you might get involved with toddlers their own age.
    natD1960

Answer by natD1960 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2011