Is voting speech?

**You really ought to take a look at this link, it's pretty interesting**.

Michael A. Carrigan, a city council member in Sparks, had been censured for failing to recuse himself with respect to a matter in which his close friend and campaign manager had a clear interest. He challenged the censure first on the ground that the statute requiring recusal was vague and overbroad and, second, on the First Amendment ground that voting was an expression of a political opinion and as such merited the highest constitutional protection.

The Nevada Supreme Court agreed and held the relevant statute unconstitutional because voting contains “a communicative element” and “serves an important role in political speech.” The respondent’s brief in the U.S. Supreme Court case cites to Miller v. Town of Hull (1st Circuit, 1989): “There can be no more definitive expression of opinion than by voting on a controversial public issue.” Justice Samuel Alito, in a concurring opinion that is really a dissent, echoes the sentiment: “Voting has an expressive component in and of itself.”

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/is-voting-speech/?nl=opinion&emc=tya1

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 8:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I suppose technically it is.

Sometimes ethics issues just make me want to go gggrrrrr. Regular people make ethical decisions every day without rules requiring them to recuse themselves. Why are we electing public officials that have difficulty with this concept. I recently served on an important school board committee. One of the issues at hand would have benefitted my children/family a great deal. I didn't even think twice about that when giving my no vote..it wasn't in the best interest of the majority of the children. There is a lucrative contract on our local military base that I do not bid on each year because I am good friends with the person that grants the contract. What is it with people? Why is it so hard to set things aside to make the ethical choices?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• There is a lucrative contract on our local military base that I do not bid on each year because I am good friends with the person that grants the contract. What is it with people? Why is it so hard to set things aside to make the ethical choices?

Answer by yourspecialkid 10 minutes ago

Good for you. Some people only think with thier pocket book. We'd all be better off if people weren't so greedy.

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I agree with Alito
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yep. People make their wishes known thru speech. Voting may not be speech, but you are still making your wishes known. When it comes to ethics questions, too many allow greed or the fact it's better or worse for them personally, regardless of others, to influence their decision.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I believe it is. That is why I was so upset when a group ran by ACORN tossed my voters registration information and sent me a bogus voters registration card. On election day I found out I couldn't vote. Made me so angry a group working to elect our current President would take my vote away from me. I am voting in the next election but even more importantly am going to help register people to register to vote. I don't care what their party affiliation is everyone should be allowed to vote and no one should intimidate them (black panthers with billy clubs comes to mind) or prevent that from happening.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2011