how much solid food should an 8 month old eat a day??

My Daughter is 8 months old should I keep a regular solid food schedule for her? and how much should she be eating?
She eats more then half the jar when I give her solids is that to much?

MonicaGreer21

Asked by MonicaGreer21 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no that it not too much. I'd ask your dr. and/or look it up what the usual amount is but i'm also a very strong believer that each shild is different and that it is important to let them let you know when they are done/full (unless their is a specific medical issue). Babies do NOT have food issues (that is an adult thing) so I let my kids as much or as little as they wanted it. Also how much they will eat changes, sometimes they'll eat and eat and other days they don't want a thing (depends on if they are in a growth spurt or not)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:55 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• You are welcome to join us at Common Sense Parenting here in Cafemom where we offer lots of good information for healthy children. We are a traditional parenting group (making the old ideas new again), and we have posts that give the information that you are looking for (schedules, food amounts, etc.) Heres just a couple of suggestions: At this point, she can be offered pureed proteins like chic and beef. Mix it with 2 tablespoons veg (carrots, beets, peas, bean, etc.), banana (2 tablesp) and a cooked fruit, like applesauce (2 Tablesp) along with baby rice cereal for her starch. Mix together, serve warm.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:56 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• continued....Remember that the body digests warm food better and warm food is always nicer. I never serve my family canned food without heating. :) Remember, too that her food should continue to be mashed and pureed until she has a full set of molars. Front teeth are for pulling and biting, but the back molars are for grinding and the gums are not able to chew the food well enough so that the stomach doesn't have to do all the work. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:57 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• that amount is fine, just remember to offer breastmilk(or formula) prior to offering any solids as they are meant to be like a dessert.

i would advise against using purees and opt for soft chunks of food cut small that baby can pick up and eat themselves.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My baby turned 9 months today (happy bday!) and he eats when we eat. Breakfast, lunch and dinner and I give him a snack and 330 when the older boys get a snack. He eats a jar of 2nd foods each time and sometimes some off my plate. And he nurses every 3-4 hours.
    NoGirlsAllowed

Answer by NoGirlsAllowed at 12:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I took cues from my child, if he was slowin on his interest in the meal, I'd let his body decide he'd had enough. Never forced him to finish the whole bottle, just put 1/2 in a bowl to start.
    25beengoodtome

Answer by 25beengoodtome at 2:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2008