Science I am sick of it!

Okay thats it I'm sick of this there are 9 planets in the solar system. I dont give a damn what they are trying to claim or say about Pluto now making it a damn dwarf planet. I taught my daughter now 3 1/2 (she was 2 1/2 when she wanted to learn them) that there are 9 planets. She knows them as 9 & lists them as 9. We even have planets hanging from her ceiling & there are 9. LOL

So what are you teaching your child(ren) 8 or 9?

BTW I will teach her the other two (?) dwarf planets & explain later on that Pluto is considered one too but for right now shes good!

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• My DS knows there are 8 planets and one dwarf planet. He watched a special by Neil Degrasse Simon called Pluto Files and made the decision for himself if he thought it was a planet or not. He feels dwarf planet is accurate so that is what we go with. It doesn't meet the scientific definition for a planet but it does have some of the characteristics which prevent it from being 'just debris'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I teach my children 8 and about how Pluto was a planet and is now a dwarf. When teaching your kids at home you should teach them what is currently right, it will make it easier for them in school later.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Wasn't Pluto's moon considered a planet Zina? (yea not the correct spelling either)
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have a t-shirt that says when I was your age Pluto was a planet lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:46 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• That's great that your little one likes learning so much (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:21 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• actually they classified pluto as a dwarf planet in 2006 so i guess you aren't up on these things lol. if you like, they might be giants has an awesome dvd/cd called here comes science and they have a great song on there about the planets and even a skit before talking about why pluto is not considered a planet anymore. there are also songs about the sun, plants and our body systems. it's very scientifically accurate and also very entertaining.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Pluto was demoted August 24, 2006. That was almost 5 years ago.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• When it comes to science, I'd rather teach my kids that science evolves over time as new discoveries are made. We discuss that what is classified one way today may not be so tomorrow as we learn more about a particular topic and realize that perhaps there's a different way to view the world based on this new information. Then, we talk about how until 2006, we listed 9 planets but since then, scientist have studied more and collected more data. They've decided that based on that data they would change what was considered a planet and in doing so, Pluto is now considered a dwarf planet so we actually only count 8 planets in our solar system now. I also tell them that they'll run into people who refuse to accept the change or are ignorant to it so don't get touchy if someone debates you on the 8 or 9 planets. (cont)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:46 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• so all that said - I'd rather be honest from the get go and 'teach' my kids what is generally and currently accepted so when they are older we don't have to 'unlearn' or 'relearn' in order to get full credit on some test. That's not to say we just spit out facts to memorize. They are well aware of Pluto's changed status and have been for some time. My oldest was 4 when Pluto was reclassified. He was ticked. He complained to his preschool teacher at the time and told her that when he grew up he was going to discover a new planet and name it Pluto. My DD was 2 then. Today at 6 she can explain the entire thing to you thanks to our at home telescope and astronomy games and our trips to the planetarium.

Science is not static. I'd rather my children understand that and learn what is commonly accepted today, understanding that it has changed or could change rather just what I'm comfy with because its how i learned it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• LOL she will be fine in school bc I will teach her the moons & other dwarf planets later. Right now we have to get through the presidents & georgraphy of the world! Those are her current topics of interest at the moment haha
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Jun. 22, 2011