English or spanish first??

Ok Ladies here is the quetion. my first language is spanish and I am fluent in both english and spanish my husband only speak english so he get upset cuz i talt to our baby in spanish some times but I do want him to learn both I always think english it's a given cuz he will learned @ school.....what do you think pls help????

H-Tina

Asked by H-Tina at 9:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I speak english, french and german to my kids from birth. If DH wants to know what I am saying to the kiddos he can learn right along with them and does.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:18 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Keep doing what you're doing! It's wonderful for a child to be bilingual!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't know why your husband would be upset...if you are teaching him both languages. I am not even fluent in Spanish but I still want to teach it to my daughter. So when we say an English word we will say the Spanish word for it too. You should let him know that a child that is taught more than one language from the beginning is able to learn other languages that much easier.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• As long as your husband is talking to your kids in English, and they are exposed to English in their surrounding culture, you are giving them the gift of being bilingual.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:21 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Both equally. Simply mix in the spanish with every day talk. Explain to your husband that children who know more languages generally are smarter (okay so I just heard that somewhere but at some point your kid is going to be using spanish weather its to do class in school or in the workfield later on). He will learn Spanish & English best & easiest now so just do both. I wish I knew another language to teach my daughter but for right now what disney & nick teach her is going to have to do!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I speak ONLY in Spanish to my dd. My husband only speaks english, and if he wants to know what I'm saying, he needs to start learning it. God knows he's had long enough to learn.
    I consulted with a professional on this once. He said that for the kid to learn both languages, one parent should speak 1 language and the other parent the second language, exclusively, to the kid. If you start switching back and forth the kid will hang on to the language he/she hears the most, which in this case is english.
    My mil asked me once to switch to english when she's around and I politely told her that I was not going to do that, because for my dd to be able to learn the language, and actually choose to use it, I need to be consistent and only speak to her in spanish.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 9:22 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would say English first.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I say spanish because once he knows that he can pick up english else well. what about you speak to him in spanish and he speaks to him in english and then he can have both at the same time. my daughter understands both. little by little. she is around english more but can undrstand and respond in spanish. if the baby is getting confused when he is older then just speak in one language and then once he is mastered that then introduce both. but i grew up in a bilingual household too and i got both and its fine whichever way to approach it. what i also do is i ptractice with my dd both in english and spanish words. have fun.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• both. Their brains are capable of deciphering the difference from a very early age. I mean like a few months old. The more they hear from early on the better chance they will have of picking both up fluently. I wish I could teach my children two languages... My est friend does and has since birth.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:24 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• you can speak only spanish to your child and your husband english. that is an excellent way for them to become fluent in both languages. idk what scout mom is talking about.....obviously if daddy is speaking english then they are going to learn english as well. my friend is german and she did this with her daughter (she spoke only german, hubby spoke only english to her) and she was fluent in both languages.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2011