The show Teen Mom on MTV.

I am going there with the debate on it. Yep I am churning that water again.

Good or bad for teens to see? Does it promote teen pregnancy or help girls to see it is not all fun and happy?

pookiekins34

Asked by pookiekins34 at 9:34 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think the road to hell is paved with good intentions. What started out to raise awareness has backfired.

This is not the reality of most unwed 16 and pregnant. There should be a huge disclaimer stating what the families are being paid so that the kids watching understand these girls are no longer financially stressed. It is reported that the mom's from the first season were paid $60,000. Reality...I think not!!!
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 10:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Honestly I know people with disagree with me, but I think it does raise awareness for girls. Most of the girls tell the camera that they wish they didn't have sex, and the show is geared toward prevention, that is why @ every commercial break they mention that teen pregnancy is 100 percent preventable, and showing the hard time that these girls have does show that too. In my opinion all they have to do is see what your body looks like after a c-section (my husband's little sister saw my c-section scar when my daughter was only about 2 months old, and she totally freaked out). My husband and I both decided it was a good thing she walked in on me cheating, she is only 10 but VERY interested in boys (until she saw the result of sex).
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I really do not like the show because the TV is parading them as stars. I also think the show may be misleading some teen to think is cool to be pregnant at 16. They are still kids and should enjoy their life than rushing into child making.
    oba

Answer by oba at 9:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Both! I will not watch the show and I will not allow my children or anyone in my home to watch it because of the mixed signals that these teen "moms" give.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think it helps..in some instances. Some of the teen moms have it easy--having their parents help them out whenever they need. Some of them really have to work hard to do it on their own! In the real world ladies, Mommy & Daddy aren't always going to be there to help!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• teen pregnancy and motherhood is 10000000x harder than what they're going through. I got pregnant at fifteen and the father was KIA. I raised my daughter, without child support and or any man help. (I was 15 he was 18) It wont stop teens to WANTING to get pregnant.. if they want they want.
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 9:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think it helps girls see it is not fun and happy. My DD and I have watched it a couple of times and at one point she said "THat girl is not being very nice." I totally agreed because the girl was being a brat although it was a great conversation opener to talk to my DD about why we tell her she shouldn't have sex until she is older. I also think it is a great lesson for boys as well, since I have to boys.

I personally don't think ti promotes teen sex because kids are doing it anyways. I think the show tries to show how hard it is although I don't really like the show that much and have only watched it a few times.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• they're idiots. they "think" they can raise a child. You need more than a part time job and think the baby daddy will stick around because he "loves" you, he's 15- 16 maybe 17 all they wanted was sex.Teen girls are a little ignorant nowadays.
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 9:44 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• you know what i wish the girls today would take that show and see it for what it really is , most of the girls on there are having a really hard time , other than those that have supportive parents. i was walking through target the other day and this girl was like i cant wait to be 16 and pregnant, i said to my SO , damn she can take my LO for a day and see what its like , i was a single mom at 26 its not fun
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't like that show and don't watch it, why would anyone want to make a show about teen pregnancy just to in a teenage girls eyes give them an idea to get famous, it is trashy in my eyes.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:53 AM on Jun. 22, 2011