Do you let your baby/toddler watch TV to calm down?

No bashing on answers here. I know many ppl think that letting babies/toddlers watch TV is wrong, but sometimes it is all that calms them down. Trust me I do not use the TV as a babysitter, in fact I wish I didn't have to turn it on, but when my 8 month old daughter goes nuclear there is only 1 thing that stops the crying.....High School Musical. (Yes my infant likes High School Musical). Have any other moms run into this? Where only 1 show/movie, ect. will calm baby?

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 9:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I use it as a babysitter sometimes...no shame here. There are times when I'm trying to get ready to leave the house, and I'll let my dd watch the Little Einsteins so I can get her dressed and hair fixed. That's the only way to get her to sit still...lol...getting a 3 year old dressed and ready to leave the house is quite a challenge :-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• No. I notice that it will calm her but when I want to turn it off, she goes nuts again. So I'd rather do without.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Music always worked for us. I had some baby cds.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Nope, we read a book, dance or sing. Dh is addicted to TV and drives me nuts with it on all day after he gets home from work. if we have a mega meltdown they go to their room until they can act and speak correctly without the fit or attitude
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• she is so calm when watching tv...sometimes its on and she just gets on the sofa and just watches. its a beautiful thing. especially when i am talking on the phone or have hw or housework to do. whatever works.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My kids watched Sesame street....but they rarely needed 'calming down'. They slept well, had at least one long nap each day, ate well and they were pleasant ...unless they were sick with a fever,ear infection. But that was also rare. When they were older,we watched shows together but the TV wasn't on all day. There weren't that many kids' shows in the 1970's when they were little.I don't think there s anything wrong with letting kids watch appropriate TV show and movies though.

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes. My son likes Mickey. That's all he ever wants to watch. I find the show really annoying, but we play along with it. He's 2, so he can do the exercises and pick the tools they use. And it really does help him to learn. They teach mostly numbers and colors, but they throw some good skills like sharing and good sportmanship in too. The hard part is getting to watch what I want, but I just started this new thing. He watches an episode of Mickey, I watch a show, and then, he can have Mickey back. I don't watch much TV anyway, so taking turns works. And after his 2 episodes, he's just playing anyway until nap time.
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes my daughter only likes High School Musical....we even tried to just put music on the comp. for her but it didn't work. It HAS to be this annoying movie....and she usually only watches it once a day, but we leave it on in the background for her, even when she is playing she just likes to hear the songs from it.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My son is almost 21 months and has no interest in tv. Sometimes I wish he did, even if only for 10 minutes, lol, but I'm actually really glad that he doesn't. I don't think there's any harm in watching a little tv here and there, though. It's only when they're missing out on other things that I think it becomes an issue.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:46 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My children have always been allowed to watch TV. With my oldest it was the only way I got anything done. I could put him in his jumper and put on the Lord of the Rings (the old 1979 animated musical version) and he would "dance" with the music and I could get the dishes done...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2011