Drinker vs. non-drinker

do both you and your SO drink alcohol? do you take turns so one is sober? do you or your SO have specific drinking nights? and for those who don't drink, like myself, do you ever just get tired of the other person drinking?

i get tired of being the permanent designated driver, not because i want to get drunk or out of control, but because i'm tired of that being his excuse to get wrecked while i have to deal with his drunken conversation, groping, and otherwise embarrassing behavior.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• I drink occasionally.. after the kids go to bed.. very rarely though.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• We both drink. If we are out DH will only have 1 02 and we don't leave for an hour or so after his last one. If we are at home we both drink not sloppy drunk but tipsy and not often (drinking is expensive!). If something happened we would simply call 911.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My husband does not drink. Every so often he tells me I need one though. I am sorry..I would continue to tell him to stop and how you feel about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• we drink at home and will have one or two beers now that then. Sometimes the kids are up sometimes they aren't. We don't hide the fact that we drink from the kids instead we both know our limits and will have one or two and then stop. Going out to drink just costs so much these days and the drive to "drink up" because someone bought you a drink just makes the next day hard to wake up and function. No party crowd for us!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Have you talked to him?
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I drink once in a while ... love me a White Russian. Hubby hasn't really drank anything in many years. Maybe a drink here or there.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My s/o and I don't drink on a regular basis. We go to a party or out to dinner and just have a glass of Vino or a beer. Anything more is not good for your health. It is very rare now days that we drink to get drunk. We did stupid sh** like that when we were younger.
    Jerzymom

Answer by Jerzymom at 10:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'm not a huge drinker. Once in awhile if he kids are in bed. If I were you I'd stop facilitating it. You don't have to go out with him, or sit there and watch. By doing that he may think you condone his behavior.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• When my DH & I have a drink, it's a casual relaxing drink together but not to get drunk. We never got knock down drunk even after being married 18 years. Drinking like that was for High School. Why would I want to feel like crap now?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My husband and I both grew up in alcoholic families. My hubs does not drink -so if we go anywhere he is the designated driver. I drink once in a while- if we are at my mom or sisters I might have a glass of wine or wine cooler with them, or on holidays I might have a drink. The only time I order alcohol out in public is if hubs and I are out w/o the kids, (like at a wedding reception). Hubs and I don't go to clubs or bar hopping. Now that I am on meds (for health issues) and I am on a diet to loose weight, I will be passing on the alcohol. (don't need the empty calories, or risk a medication interaction)
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2011