"you look like a happy family"

I was at the lake yesterday and it was just my dd and i and this little boy in the lake said this to me. it was just so random and so cute that it got me thinking. what makes a happy family? and why does it take a complete stranger to point that out and no less a child. do you think children see things that we as adults sometimes over look. what are your thoughts.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 10:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• A happy family can laugh and smile together.. when they laugh and smile their entire faces light up
    an unhappy family will half laugh and smile but it doesn't reach their eyes and seems forced at times.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Kind of makes me wonder what the little boy's life is like to notice that. I get a kick out of it when people say it while looking at pictures. Well we are in pictures and smiling for the camera. A happy family is really determined by each family.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• sure !! kids are too curious and wana know and see everything that's why they pay attention to every little thing, that we adult probably see but dont care about it ... we are two diffrent world
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 10:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Probably just that you guys were having fun together meant to him that you were a happy family. I would guess that he doesn't view his family has a happy one.

When we would do something like go to the lake as a family when I was a kid, my parents would send my brother and me off and they would do their own thing. We weren't a happy family and it showed in that we were never "together" let alone together and enjoying ourselves. I remember I would look at those families back then and think how happy they must be.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Makes me wonder what his home life is like also. People makes statement to our family alot like that too but it's kinda hard not to notice 8 smiling faces lol
    griefstrickin

Answer by griefstrickin at 10:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• A happy family IMO, is a family that's not fighting all the time, a united family. Also very close to each other.
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 10:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• pookiekins34, i have no idea. he seemed happy. his mother was around. they looked happy but sometimes looking happy is a show. maybe he feels he is missing something from his own family. i don;t know but it made me feel good. and i hope i am providing my little girl with a happy family.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes that would make you feel good. I am sure you are doing a wonderful job. If that is her in your picture there she is adorable.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• yes that is her, she is 2 now but she loves the water and whatever makes her happy. thank you. its nice to hear sometimes.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes it is nice to hear. All my kids love the water too. Swimming and bath time was always a blast. I always came out soaked when they were her age. Bubbles were a blast with them at that age too.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2011