Mesh bag for feeding infants table food?

Have you used one and if so, when did you start and with what? Did you use baby food then add the mesh bag later? Did you feed one thing for a few days and then switch to something else or is it whatever you are eating that day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used one it reminded me of a pacifier and i put fresh cut up fruit in it. My daughter seemed to like it.
    shar-hulk

Answer by shar-hulk at 10:24 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I used one with both of my older kids and will use one with DD2.

With DD, I did baby food and let her use a mesh feeder, with DS, I never did baby food and gave him things in the mesh feeder that he could choke on (like pieces of meat). I plan on doing things with DD2 like I did with DS. I'm not a fan of baby food.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I used it at 4 months for DD who was teething. I made breast milk ice cubes for it. At 6 months I was using frozen fruit... I mostly used it for teething...sometimes on hot days.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Those are so stupid. If the baby can't self feed using their hands then they're not ready for that stuff. Seems like a lazy way of getting out of spoon feeding your kid

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I wanted to add I made my own baby food to spoon feed but not until after 6 months with DD.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• LOL, I'm not lazy a bit. We've been feeding him cereal on a spoon for several weeks, however, he's practically diving for anything on our plates or even watching our oldest eating fruit. He's been doing this the last month or two. We haven't started baby food yet, and I know that you are supposed to introduce baby foods one at a time and each for a few days due to allergies. Since he was really squealing, fussing, and diving while watching our oldest eating an apple yesterday, I finally peeled a couple of slices and put it in there. He was very happy about that. He is also teething. It's not a product that I've ever used before, but a friend of mine did. Just wondering how others started with their infants. We were trying to hold off until after baby food, but he seems ready now.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Butterflyblue19, it's not about not wanting to spoon feed, it's about giving them things they can't eat because they are a choking hazard. But some people don't believe in spoon feeding their infants, they believe in baby led solids. That they learn to eat solids when they can self feed.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• There is an argument that if baby needs it on a spoon, baby is not ready for the solids. There's NOTHIGN wrong with mesh feeders to prevent choking.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I used one with my daughter (well, all of mine, actually) but not until they were sitting completely unassisted and were capable of self feeding. We mainly used it for teething.

We don't eat toxic waste (packages, prepared, or fast food) so none of mine had to endure baby foods.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• we use it. We also spoon feed and let her self feed. I put things like melon, apple, pears, and peach in there. She has no teeth, so this helps introduce some foods that otherwise I wouldn't feel comfortable giving her. I don't think it's lazy at all.
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 12:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2011