Are smokers being discriminating against?

this came out of my own question but since going to new york the other day and seeing how the smokers are no longer to smoke in public places and then now the new labels. do you think there is this new sigma like they are the outcast the minority now. are smokers being discrimnated against for their lifestyle choices? and do you feel that is taking away a freedom that we chose. i want everyone to be healthy but do you feel singling out smokers is going to start a trend on all unhealty habits? and where does this end?

thoughts?

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 10:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm a smoker & honestly, I think they are just trying to make the world a healthier place.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I smoke and I do have an slight issue with bars/nightclubs not being able to decide to allow it or not but other places like restaurants, nope, not a problem. I think it is pathetic that the government had to step in and force good manners on people.

Are smokers being discriminated against? Only because they (not all) tend to be stupid, inconsiderate and incredibly rude to those that do not smoke.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:40 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• If ensuring public health means that smokers are only allowed to smoke in certain places- so be it. The labels do not provide any new information. Other countries have been using graphic images for years.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:41 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I smoked for 13 years and personally have no problem with it. I don't want to smell int, breath, it, etc. Smoking is a choice, what air my children have to breathe is not.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Anything that will help make us healthy is okay with me and I don't see it as
    "discrimination".
    (I am saying this as a FORMER smoker. I tried to stay away from people when I had a cig.)
    I think that might make people quit. I quit because I had to smoke outside in the rain,in the snow, in below zero temps. It was just too difficult. I feel SO GOOD now that I no longer smoke.
    I hope it helps people quit.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• In a sense they are being discriminated against, but it makes more sense to protect the people who are non-smokers and who chose to not live that lifestyle.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 10:44 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think they are, but people asked for it. Now they are targeting things with sugar in them. I'm not fat. I do not have any health problems and I am in my mid-forties. I wanted to buy an iced tea yesterday to cool me down. Had to pay the fat tax. I'm tired of the government deciding what is best for us. I'm just as tired of people deciding to back the government up about it. Not all smokers are sick or get sick and not everyone that eats candy bars and drinks soda are fat and sick either. What I do take offense to is these disgusting pictures they will be displaying in the stores that small children can see. I do not think it is fair for parents to have to explain death and destruction to their small children, no matter what the cause.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• At 'almost' every job smokers get 'extra' paid breaks to go outside and smoke... they may not be able to smoke in certain places but they can get paid to smoke... sounds like ti evens out. And the labels are stupid. Like they don't KNOW they these things already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think that singling them out and continuing the efforts that are already in place and developing more efforts will eventually make a difference even if its a small difference. As a former smoker, I get the frustration with making it near impossible to smoke, I used to get so angry and would smoke even in places that said I couldnt just to rebel but now as a nonsmoker it frustrates me to see people like that. I was with my family at a local racing event and we were seated in the family grandstands which is the most handicapped accessible seating area. They have other sections like a beer drinking hill (the only place beer is allowed), a couple of regular grandstand seating sections that are harder for handicapped people to get to because they are at an up hill slant. Seated a few people away from me was an elderly man w/ an oxygen tank and this was the easiest place for him to sit. Behind him a woman
    mitchellb

Answer by mitchellb at 10:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I do not smoke and never have, but if you want to smoke and know how bad it is than you should be free to smoke.

Most kids smoke because they think they look older and cool not because it tastes good. (it $$$$ and it stinks)

Education is the best way to go, and the movie makers should stop making smoking look cool!!!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2011