Am I being unresonable?

My husband and I decided when we first got our pure bred black lab that we were going to mate her (our friends have a pure bred male that is the same age as her). We were planning on doing it the next time she came into heat, but I am now pregnant. I don't want to breed her while I am pregnant, or while we have a newborn in the house, but my husband doesn't understand why. I told him it would just be too much, I am pregnant and chasing a baby around already, I don't need the added stress of a pregnant dog. He thinks I am being ridiculous about this since he seems to think that she won't need any extra attention.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 10:43 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Pets

• Before you breed your dog are you going to do any health checks on her and the father of the pups? Hips, elbows, eyes and heart? Those should all be done before you breed.

Then, there is her age, she is far too young to bred, they should be at least two? Do you know the background the male dog you plan to breed her to? Any aggression, health issues, behaviour issues that you don't know about? Do you have the money for an emergency vet visit should something go wrong during the birth?

Have you gone to a shelter on gassing or euthanizing day to watch as all those "we just want her to have one litter" dogs and puppies are killed?

Do all those things, then think about breeding her. Or, alternatively, leave the breeding up to people who know what they are doing and don't do it to line their pockets...get a job and don't live off your dog's uterus.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 2:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't understand why you want to breed your dog in the first place. Aren't there enough backyard breeders and puppy mills out there?/ Seriously, do you know how many animals are killed because of the selfishness of breeding unwanted animals?? Is it for the money??

stepping offf soap box...

Your husband is being insensitive to what you are going thru. I would tell him to go ahead and do it if he is going to be completely responsible for the pregnant dog and whatever issues she has.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• ::sigh:: I have nothing to add really but I agree with music- when you post in a forum like this you are opening yourself up to all kinds of comments, you don't get the luxury of picking and choosing what kind of responses you get. You asked a question about breeding a dog-yes you specifically asked about your DH feeling on doing it now but in the end what you asked about was dog breeding. I am sorry you aren't hearing what you wanted to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• There is A LOT of work involved in breeding. A LOT. In fact I do not recommend breeding to anyone who doesn't plan on showing.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You will not make money form breeding well. there are vet cost, getting the mom's hips certified, getting her eyes certified and getting her vaccines up to date. An x-ray to count puppies. The possibility of medical intervention being needed at birth (rare with labs but possible) The pups will need dewormed and the first set of vax before going to home. No registered- pet qualify dogs can only be sold successfully for so much money. Non-certified for even less. To make money form breeding you have to have desirable dogs- meaning champion lines... that cost money to. IN fact it is really more of a hobby to do it well. If you plan on getting erh knocked up then selling the pups out of your garage with nothing else you may make some money but you are doing it all wrong and causing further harm to the already high population of dogs. Especially labs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Well if you guys understood the risks that should be enough common sense to know that now is not the time! Why is there an argument. Don't put it out there if you can't handle the feedback. Not everyone is okay with breeding "just for fun". You can research all you want. If you have never done it you have NO clue pregnant or not what you are doing. I know reputable breeders that have issues finding homes for the pups! Labs can have eight to thirteen pups! I can tell buyout replies you really don't know what you are talking about.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• WHAT?

You said and I quote 'We do want to breed for the money, and we intend to keep at least 1 of the puppies...'

followed by 'Just to be clear, we have no intention of trying to make money off of breeding our dog.'

Anyone else see the problem here...?

Anonymous

• Gestation for dogs is 63 days. 6 to 8 weeks of puppies and that is it. What my biggest concern is that young mothers tend not to be able to multi-task anymore without a great amount of help.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'm sorry but.. if you decide to Breed your dog being pregnant or not- i think you are being Unreasonable.. there are just TOO MANY sitting in a cage at the shelter waiting & waiting for someone to come save them-

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You asked for opinions on a PUBLIC site, you aren't the posting police. People can say whatever they want. Can't hang, respectfully......log off.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011