When you down vote (in this section & the debate)...

Do you do it because you are offended by the persons opinion?
Because you think the answer is rude, judgmental, etc?
Or just because you disagree with them?

I'm wondering because I'm an admin on a forum, and we only use our equivalent of the down vote when people are being idiotic, rude, hypocritical, etc. I sure see a heck of a lot of down voting around here that seem based on differences of opinion, and up voting of downright snarkiness (and not defensive snarkiness, which I'm cool with)...and I'm just wondering how people decide on that.

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 10:56 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in About CafeMom

• If it is way out of hand..rude.. I will vote it down.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I only vote down if someone is being downright stupid or is being offensive. I don't have a problem with people having a different opinion than me, but I don't care for outright rudeness.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Personally, I'll up vote anything that's reasonably well stated, brings up an important point , or is refuting someone that was an ass. But for the most part, I only down vote someone that lacks the basic courtesy to make their opinion halfway respectable or if they say something that is utterly factually incorrect. I can't see down voting a simple difference of opinion...which IMO) indicates that I'm either an arrogant jerk or that I lack a sense of perspective.
    thalassa

Comment by thalassa (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I only down vote if the response is rude, condescending or dangerous.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:01 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• In debates-when they can't seem to see anyone else's viewpoint and/or are rude

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I am right with the other moms. I down vote if someone is being aweful or if I find their answer offensive. Sometimes I do if the poster is off toptic and going on their own rant.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:03 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I vote down when someone is rude, hateful, name calling, or just being an ass.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I just down voted in one minute more than I have down voted my entire month here on cafemom. I did it because I asked for a certain view from a certain group. I am aware anyone can respond to any question. It was not in the debate section, I do not flood this section with questions only for a group or any type of question for that matter. If that makes me wrong so be it. There are times I get down votes for some of the simplest responses, therefore, I know others down vote me just because. I usually just spend a few minutes in the areas outside just for fun.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 11:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I tend to vote down only if the language is inappropriate or the opinion doesn't have anything to do with the question. Like if they just want to snark or bash for the sake of doing it. I rarely vote down because I disagree with their opinion, but I notice that they do that a lot with me.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i down vote for rudeness, tactlessness, willful ignorance, & for negative stereotyping (ex: all Muslims are terrorists). i never down vote someone just b/c i disagree w/ what they're saying...its usually the way they are saying it that gets a down vote from me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2011