What is a good bug blocker spray to use on the kids/babies? Or is this just too much chemicals to put on them?

My daughter is getting chewed up! Bug bites on her little cheek,neck and back :(
Whats a good spray to use on kiddos 2 and under??

Man, do you ever feel like your putting TOO much chemicals on your kids? First goes on the thick layer of sunblock then goes on the bug spray. Is this healthy for them?
I mean..I have to use SOMETHING, right?

I could go organic and tape an umbrella to thier heads to block the sun then sew a net around thier entire bodies to keep off the bugs, LOL Don't think the kids would like it tho,lol.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 11:46 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They do make those fans that you attach to your clothes. The noise is supposed to keep bugs away. I have no idea if they work. They sell them by the bug sprays. They also say that if you tie a bounce sheet to your clothes that will keep bugs away. I have no idea if that works. You could try it. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Get one without Deet and one that is not combined with sunscreen. You can also ask the doctor what they recommend.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• We bought Mosquito plants this year...I had never heard of them or seen them before at our nurseries but....we love them and think it definitely helps where we place them. They are on our front porch (2) and I haven't had one mosquito bite on my front porch yet! Now, the backyard has none (next year we will plant a bunch) and my legs get eaten alive. UGH. Probably not the answer you're looking for but just wanted to pass this along about the plants. Easy care and it's called guess what?? A Citronella plant. ;D
    Yes, so many chemicals, even for us adults too! I have sun allergy and have to use spf 100 everywhere the sun will hit me or I get a horrible rash of swollen bumps that itch like poison ivy and don't clear up for weeks. Bummmmmer!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• rosemary oil.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• "could go organic and tape an umbrella to thier heads to block the sun then sew a net around thier entire bodies to keep off the bugs"

LMAO. good one.

you could try the avon skin so soft. my mother uses this and it works for her. i use it on my dogs.

i use the bug spray though, becasue me son swells up from bug bites and then we end up at the doctors. he's gotten antibiotics twice now for it, and i don't care for that either. I just make sure he always showers at the end of the day to get the bug spray off.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 12:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• you can try the off clip on they have.. that way it's not actually ON their skin, but a clip on to keep bugs away.. .. for young kids and babies, try a netting over the play pen to keep them out.. a lot of stores have the clip on netting for play pens to keep bugs out so kids can play safely in it outside.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I just rub my 4 year olds clothes lightly all over with a dryer softener sheet before he goes out to play with his dad after dinner & that has been preventing him from getting any bites. Then I change his clothes when he comes in. I won't use any of that commercial bug stuff on a kid. It's essentially poison on their skin. You could also use Avon's Skin So Soft lotion.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I do not use them. They have to many toxic chemicals in them. BUT there is no reason to get bit up either. I get a neem soap and use that. Neem is a natural bug repellent that comes from trees. I get it from a "home made" soap company that's local. But you could probably find it online somewhere. I know lots of people use it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011