Is my 9 month old overweight or will he become overweight?

My son Logan is 9months old and weighs 20.6lbs. He is in the 75% for his height and according to the dr from his last check up he was 50% for weight and his head. Now my 3 year old son is 23lbs and my 9 month old son is really close to him height wise and weight wise.
My 9month old eating habits are great: 7:15am he drinks a 8 or 9oz bottle and then around 7:30am he eats his cereal with mixed in fruit, and he will have some cheerios and a banana. He takes a nap around 9am and 10am and sleeps until 10:30 or 11am. Lunch time occurs around 11:30am or 12pm where he will eat the 3rd stages baby food or he will eat what i make the other kids. then around 1pm he has again like a 6oz or 7oz bottle before nap at 1pm. He will then sleep from 1pm till 3pm. Wakes up and wants like a snack so he will eat a smaller jar of baby food and he will have like puffs or yogurt melts all for snack. then we eat supper around 4 and 4:30pm where he will eat what i make plus a jar of baby food. He is good up until 6pm where he then eats his cereal and half a jar of baby food. 7pm its time to get ready for bed so he will the drink a 8 or 9oz bottle before i brush his gumns and teeth.
I think he eats to much and i am afraid he will be overweight. What do u all think. His doctor so far says he is normal for weight and is above average for his height.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 11:53 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Remember that the liquid diet is paramount for him, all the way to the first birthday. He may be getting too many solids compared to the bottles. What's his weight compared to birth weight? You look for double by six months, triple by one year.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You can't really compare a 9 month old to a 3 year old. Your 9 month old is average and once he is running around everywhere he will thin out, like I am sure your 3 year old did. My nephew was over 20lbs at 6 months, he is now 18 months and completely average. Babies lose that chunk once they start walking/running, ect. My 8 month old is in the same size diapers as my friends' daughter who is almost 2, but my daughter is only in the 60% for her weight. I don't think you have to worry as long as you instill healthy eating habits in him now. Which is seems like you are doing.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• There is no evidence that shows big babies will be overweight kids/adults. The only study that has shown a trend is if the parents are fat the kids will probably be fat. I also read that you can cause I child to create eating disorders if you limit what they eat and they are still hungry. It will cause overeating or comfort eating in kids/adults.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 11:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Your baby is not going to be overweight. My son was 20 lbs at 3 months old. He was in the 99th percentile for weight. He was huge. Once he started eating more tablefoods, walking and running, he slimmed down. It sounds like he is about where he is supposed to be. Stop worrying about if your BABY is overweight or if he will be overweight. Let him be who he will and love him unconditonally. Don't worry about something in the future that may be out of your control.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My 7 month old is 21 lbs and my 3 year old is 36 lbs( he is tall and linky). They're doctor says the baby is at a good weight. Yeah he may look a little chunky but I think he will thin out later on. We just started solids last month and he really only eats 3 tablespoons 2 times a day. Don't worry about it.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• to the first poster he was 8lbs 3oz and 20inches, compared to his older brother who was 5lbs 4oz and 18inches
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• "to the first poster he was 8lbs 3oz and 20inches, compared to his older brother who was 5lbs 4oz and 18inches "

Well, there ya go. He's FINE! Relax.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You know, I understant that obesity is a problem, especially in children, but it's gone WAY overboard as far as babies are concerned. My was was 22lbs when he was 6 months old. He was a FATTY, and so damned cute. He was my butterball baby. He ate all the time. By 3 months of age he was up to 8oz of formula with enough cereal in it to spoon feed him, and he ate that every 3 to 4 hours while he was awake. That child is now 17, he stands at around 6'2" and is maybe 150lbs!!!!! So don't worry!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• All three of my kids were chunky babies. Neither are overweight now. I wouldn't worry about it.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'd trust the dr. He has seen hundreds of babies and says your son is well within charted range. My 9 mo old is also over twenty and like you, in the 75%. It is freaky that while trying out carseats, we met a baby at 14 mos just moving from carrier to carseat. And DS is already in 18-24 mo clothes. But Doc says all is well so all is well
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2011