How much formula should I be feeding my 3 month old every time she eats?

I am currently feeding my 3 month old baby 4 oz of formula with 2 teaspoons of rice cereal (for her reflux) everytime she eats but it doesnt seem like its enough. She looks upset after she finishes eating and begins chewing her hand. Should I be feeding her more or should I feed her every 2 hours as opposed to 3?

AvaAndAverysMom

Asked by AvaAndAverysMom at 11:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't switch from 3 to 2 hours, but maybe see what happens with 5 oz of formula.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Since she has reflux, more frequent feedings would be preferable.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would feed her more. my son was up to 8ozs by that age with enough cereal to spoon feed him lol. He was a HUNGARY baby
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It's best to read the baby as to how often and how much to feed him/her. Babies are not predictable. One day they will eat and eat (or drink and drink) and the next day they won't drink nearly so much. Same goes with sleeping. I think they grow in spurts and therefore their needs change from day to day. At three months my grandbaby drank 4 ounches of milk every three hours USUALLY. But sometimes he'd drink 5 ounches and sometimes he'd be hungry after an hour and a half or two hours. I take care of my grandson full time while mom and dad work. The guide I go by is askin what will help him transition to a calm alert mental state or a restful sleep state? I want our grandson to have a good personality and I know that is developed by not having to tolerate more frustration than necessary at too early of an age. Controlling intake can be very frustrating to a baby, so read your childs needs and follow the cues he or she gives you
    SecondMom59

Answer by SecondMom59 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• mine is 3 months and shes up to 4-4 1/2 every 3 1/2-4 hours
    MRMama

Answer by MRMama at 1:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• it's good to experient, I would up that to 5 oz, and she seems more hungry still give 6 oz. At that time they are really growing and my son was up to 7oz for a while, and then it decreased, let your baby show you how much they need.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Try 5-6 oz every 3 hours. Somedays she'll be more hungry than others. Youre doing good!
    courtcaton

Answer by courtcaton at 3:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011