Should I be afraid of joining my son's PTA being more of an alternative mom with tattoos and piercings?

He is starting preschool this fall. He is my first and only child so I am very apprehensive about public school.

cornfed.23.16

Asked by cornfed.23.16 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in

• I have tats and piercings.. nobody acted differently around me.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would be afraid if I were you. Just because women are bitchy. But I would join anyway.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• As long as you speak truthfully and intelligently I don't see a problem with you joining. I hate it when people join PTA just to "look" like a good parent. Tattoos and piercings wouldn't phase me but everyone has their opinion.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 12:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would do it who cares what they think
    shar-hulk

Answer by shar-hulk at 12:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Depends on what region you live in. In the south? Absolutely. They will not only shun you, but prevent you from participating. It is insane.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• first of all I wouldn't be AFRAID...gimme abreak...why does that make you any less of a mom or a person?? I don't have any piercing or tats..scared to death of needles..but I sure as hell wouldn't look at any other mom differently..if they do then they're the close minded losers :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Only if you are ashamed of who you are.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Why care what the other mom's think about the way you look? I mean seriously, as long as you aren't dressed like you are working a corner and you aren't cursing up a storm you are fine. There are parents of all kinds out there. I have 19 tattoos and am very liberal yet I am very involved with the lives of all of my kids, in and out of school.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 12:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• To begin, I am a huge fan of tattoos!

If you have tattoos and piercings I am sure you are used to sometimes getting weird disapproving looks. In the future, I think it will be more accepted, but we aren't completely there yet even though the acceptance is growing,

Just know that you will be deal with what you always have to deal with, but in a higher concentration of people.

Bit of advice: Go in there and be the best PTA member you can be! Help out as much as possible!
    If someone says something rude to you, come back with something sassy.

Example: Comment: Ugh! Look at that woman with all those tattoos. What kind of message does that send to my kid?
    Example: Response: I was hoping I could use it to strike up conversation. Hmmm, maybe I went too far. I wonder if there is a return policy. *Big Grin*

Laughter cures everything!!!!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 12:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• don't be afraid. if you want to join then join. i live in the south and have a full sleeve and guaged ears, and i was cookie mom for my daughters girl scout troop! you'd be suprised at some of the people who appreciate good tattoo work! i know i have been.
    abannist

Answer by abannist at 12:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2011